Thread: lost in hardy

Beans

lost in hardy

i just spent hours upgrading from gutsy to hardy by the upgrade manager,now my computer is almost useless.To start with the window is scaled too big for my monitor and i cant seem to resize it.I found the desktop manager by accident but i cant change the resolution setting it just reverts to default The mouse eraser thing is driving me nuts.This new upgrade should have come with some kind of user manual.I was just figuring out Gutsy,now i think im going back to an old XP that i put in the closet.Im so lost i dont even know what questions to ask to fix it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Re: lost in hardy

Can I ask, why you upgraded? Were you dissatisfied with Gutsy? Were you hoping to do more with Heron? If so what was that?

I am just figuring Gutsy after installing it in October. I downloaded the Ubuntu Desktop Training manual, all 363 pages of it. I had it bound into a book at Kinko's and it is just such a wonderful resource. I am so satisfied with 7.10. I am going to thoroughly exhaust it before I discard it. It may be years.

Or, Am I missing something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: lost in hardy

Upgrading online seems to be glitchy, why don't download the CD image and burn it? will be faster and better, I also tried to upgrade online but I saw It needed to download over 850MB so I decided to download the disc instead, plus a fresh start to (hopefully) keep my files organized.
    The big windows thing is definitely a resolution problem, go to system - preferences - resolution options and change it to fit your monitor, additionally you can check if your hardware is configured propperly at system - admin - hardware manager/drivers
    But I strongly recommend a fresh install with the CD.
    Out of Firefox 3b5, all in Hardy Heron is betther than Gutsy Gibbon, I really am loving it.

Good Luck.

Beans

My laptop's "eraser" is driving me up the wall as well, and I can't seem to find any information or help about it (I did a clean install).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The screen resolution might be something to do with your graphics driver. I am using Intel integrated graphics which by default in Gutsy using intel driver. As I know, in hardy the default is i810 driver. I had been playing with this two drivers using Gutsy and got my screen to be looked bigger as I changed my driver from intel to i810. You may try to change the graphics driver. Good luck. By the way, I am downloading Hardy to try it from live cd before deciding to upgrade.

Beans

SOLVED the big problem was my NVIDEA graphics card was not being recognized.I enabled it in the restricted drivers category.I also checked into my update manager and found 400+ updates to download even though i just spent hours uploading the new hardy upgrade.IM A HAPPY CAMPER! I am having re-learning curve issues getting compiz back to where i had it set up in gutsy,but at least my computer is usable again.ACK! a new issue just now appeared,my forum typeface just shrank to an almost unreadably small size.What did i do?The task bars and stuff stayed the same size,it just seems to be the forum font size.I probably should post this in a new category.
    thanks everybody JESSE C