Thread: Of Course, network connection problems

Beans

Of Course, network connection problems

Thanks to anyone with smarts and thats everyone besides me.
    Seems like internet connections are common with ubuntu. I have read a lot of the post concerning connections.

I really like ubuntu, all seems great, except I cannot connect to the internet. I am using ubuntu over windows xp. I am 50 yo and really really stupid concerning computer lingo. I absolutely hate MS stuff and the way they disregard their customers. I have been a customer of theirs since I had a commadore vic 20. Anyway...

I tried to disable the roaming and turn automatic. I tried to manual set dns. I pinged several places, nothing. I went to terminal and typed in ifconfig eth1 and got nothing.

I am using at&t through the phone through my router. I have a presario laptop with windows xp. Going through xp I have no problems connecting.

Thanks to anyone that may be able to lead me through to a solution. P.S. if you choose to help me, please remember my mind is old and does not compute like you younger folks do. Thank you.

Beans

Re: Of Course, network connection problems

First of all, we need to know what Wireless card you're using. Open a terminal and type in

lspci
    This'll give you a list of all the extra hardware like networking adapters connected to the PC. Copy and paste it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This means you are using a wired connection right?

Do you know your routers IP (eg 192.168.1.2) see if you can connect to that via the browser. Sometimes I have had an issue where while it can connect to the router, it can't connect to the internet. The fix is simply adding the routers address to the DNS tab under the network tool.

If that doesn't fix the problem, what were you entering for the manual connection?

Beans

First of all, we need to know what Wireless card you're using. Open a terminal and type in

lspci
    This'll give you a list of all the extra hardware like networking adapters connected to the PC. Copy and paste it here.