Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: "Clean Up by Date" on Desktop?

This sounds like a very valid feature request to me;
    but as a workaround, you could take advantage of "Places -> Desktop"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chemical Imbalance View Post
    If you have that many icons, you might as well organize them in categorical folders.
    Yes, a reasonable suggestion, but to me, the hierarchical filesystem is dead. Now, did I put the document about IBM storage systems under "computers", or under "infrastructure project for widget-co"? And what was it's name again? Ah yes, a redbook, sg246423.pdf. Of course.

Even remembering app names can be elusive at times - I just like to have all the stuff I use, laid out in front of me where I can see it at a glance, with the icon showing it's content, and where I can use my "spacial memory" to find it quickly.

It would be really nice to be able to spread it out across workspaces - ie have a different set of desktop icons in each workspace. I've seen that discussed, but I think rejected on some technical grounds.

Beans

Question Re: "Clean Up by Date" on Desktop?

The clean by name has no utility for me, but clean by date is exactly how I'm wanting to see files on my desktop. Or better, an option to clean by filetype and then date.

Any config edits or 3rd party options for this need?
    Last edited by sirald66; July 12th, 2009 at 04:54 AM. Reason: wrong word

Beans

I'd like to add my name to the list of heirarchically-challenged people who would really like Ubuntu to "clean by date." Over the course of a week my desktop inevitably clutters with multiple revisions of multiple documents, often improperly titled by hurried colleagues. It's frequently important to know which documents I received most recently, and "clean by date," admittedly a windoze crutch, is the perfect answer.

Beans

Hi

I'm wanting to arrange by type. Someone on another post that is now closed for whatever reason said to open the desktop folder and do it via Edit >Preferences ... but that only affects the open folder and not the desktop itself.

Is the standard install Desktop: Unity, Nautilus, Gnome, or what?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please start a new thread for your question; this one's quite old.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12