Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colors are incorrect when playing DVD's in Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Colors are incorrect when playing DVD's in Hardy

Hardy has been a real pleasure so far. I've been using it since the beta

The one small issue I haven't managed to work out yet though is that though DVD's play with menus and everything the color is always incorrect.

It might even be inverted. People are blue though. Lots of things are blue. This is the same no matter what player is use.

My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8400M.

I'm feeling a little clueless here. I'm surprised I'm not finding anyone else with this issue searching the forums.

Any ideas? Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Colors are incorrect when playing DVD's in Hardy

its a bug in the closed source nvidia drivers adjust the hue color settings of your video player of choice.
    In Totem go to Edit->Preferences the Display tab and set the Hue to either max or min.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Superb. Thanks so much. I'd actually gone looking for color adjustment settings previously, I don't know how I missed the hue there.

Again, many thanks.

Beans

Hi !

I experienced this problem too... really annoying !

As a first solution, I found a stupid workaround : you can go in nvidia-settings, choose the "X Server XVideo settings" line (may not be the exact name). There you can adjust contrast/brightness, but not hue. I suspect the control exists but doesn't appear in the tool... so move randomly one of the sliders, then push the "Reset hardware defaults" button... and then, magically, it can solve the color problem with you DVD playback.
    This solution is pretty messy, since you have to reproduce the entire process each time ... but it can help since all video player doesn't give access to a hue setting...

But I may have another trick :

This driver bug seems to be related to another one you may have experienced too, because it relates to color and effects on display :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=772408

The given hack worked fine for me (for the pink glow at least), and seemed to solve the issue with DVD colors in the same time... I haven't tested it fully and extensively, I just tried it yesterday and after this the DVD playback was OK, but it might be some random coincidence...

Just hope this may help...

Beans

thanks sioc! it worked!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cor2y View Post
    its a bug in the closed source nvidia drivers adjust the hue color settings of your video player of choice.
    In Totem go to Edit->Preferences the Display tab and set the Hue to either max or min.
    Thanks. Works on Hardy 64-bit.
    Linux User|Ubuntu User|My Website|Computer tips
    1) Core 2 Quad|Geforce 8600GT|EVGA nForce 650i Ultra Mainboard|9.10 - 64-bit |||| 2) Eeepc 900|Ubuntu 9.10 - 32-bit |||| 3) iBook 17" G4 | Ubuntu 9.10 - 32-bit
    Proudly a Christian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I had the color inversion and fixed it with the work arounds. The result was a normal but degraded picture.

Looking through the bug reports I see there are 3 different causes for the same problem.

Sometimes the problem is caused by installing gxine. Something in the configuration files is doing it. The fix is to completely remove gxine.

sudo apt-get purge gxine

Restart X and if that was the cause your problem will be fixed without work arounds.

Paul

Beans

thanks that worked

Beans

Just to thank cor2y for help . Setting hue to minimum cured incorrect colours with hardy heron

Beans

Thanks! I had an issue with mp3 playback so I installed gstreamer, that fixed it, however then all my colors inverted in videos ugg!, uninstalling gxine seems to work for the colors issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbgravely View Post
    I had the color inversion and fixed it with the work arounds. The result was a normal but degraded picture.

Looking through the bug reports I see there are 3 different causes for the same problem.

Sometimes the problem is caused by installing gxine. Something in the configuration files is doing it. The fix is to completely remove gxine.

sudo apt-get purge gxine

Restart X and if that was the cause your problem will be fixed without work arounds.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast