Thread: [SOLVED] Screen resolution issue with Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[SOLVED] Screen resolution issue with Hardy

I just installed Hardy on a machine with video on the motherboard. Video chipset is Nvidia GeForce6-class(That, from the manual. I do not know what the actual chipset is.
    Restricted drivers have been installed.

Roughly every other reboot of the machine, it comes up in safe graphics mode. If I reboot again, it comes up normally. Another reboot, itś in safe graphics mode. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Not sure whatś going on here. I also do not know where Hardy gets the video resolution from. Apparently, itś not in xorg.conf? Presumably, I could still specify video resolution in xorg.conf, but looking at this file after install of the restricted drivers, there is no video resolution called out.

Can anyone tell me what´s going on? It may be obvious from the question here that I am a beginner. If itś not obvious, now you know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It getś moderately annoying to have to reboot the machine every other time I want to use in order to get anything other than 640x480.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Screen resolution issue with Hardy

Not sure why it keeps reverting to safe-mode, but in Gutsy it seemed to help make the driver choice stick when I enabled effects in System>Preferences>Appearance>Effects. Would be worth filing a bug report though.

Is your resolution okay when the correct driver is used? If not, you should file a bug report for that too, but you may be able to fix that by using the Terminal or Alt-F2 and typing "gksudo displayconfig-gtk" and your password when prompted, then set your resolution with that. Reboot.

Nathan

Beans

have you tried

sudo displayconfig-gtk ?

After that I had a proper xorg.conf file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Since I started this thread, I left my computer for a while, then came back, only to have it start up with the correct resolution. I proceeded to reboot several times since then just to see what would happen. It has come up with the correct resolution each time.
    For the moment, all seems to be okay. If it happens again, though, Iĺl try displayconfig-gtk and maybe file a bug report.
    Thanks for you input.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by kgriff View Post
    Since I started this thread, I left my computer for a while, then came back, only to have it start up with the correct resolution. I proceeded to reboot several times since then just to see what would happen. It has come up with the correct resolution each time.
    For the moment, all seems to be okay. If it happens again, though, Iĺl try displayconfig-gtk and maybe file a bug report.
    Thanks for you input.

Sounds like the issue I had, something somewhere made it stick, just like enabling effects did for me.

Glad you got it sorted,

Nathan