Thread: title bar missing

Beans

title bar missing

title bar is missing. I installed compiz and uninstalled using synaptic manager. After restart title bar is missing for all windows. Any help is much appericated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: title bar missing

Quote Originally Posted by ps_kishore View Post
    title bar is missing. I installed compiz and uninstalled using synaptic manager. After restart title bar is missing for all windows. Any help is much appericated.
    Hi and have you tried
    Code:
    metacity --replace
    using the alt, F2 keys.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    Hi and have you tried
    Code:
    metacity --replace
    using the alt, F2 keys.
    I had the same problem, removed the nVidia driver - took me a while to get it back up, still the same... ran the above and everythiong hunky-dory now... cheers...

Beans

Smile Re: title bar missing

hi buddy whats your problem is you messed up the window manager (the program that handles window border) metacity is the default window manager but as you have installed compiz Emerald is the best for you, u can open a terminal and type in
    sudo apt-get install emerald
    for installation after installation press Alt+F2 and type in emerald --replace also check in the settings of compiz that window decoration plugin is enabled
    if the title bar disappears after reboot go to the sessions manager in settings and add a new startup program in the command box type in emerald --replace and save

pls write back if this was helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by hatman View Post
    I had the same problem, removed the nVidia driver - took me a while to get it back up, still the same... ran the above and everythiong hunky-dory now... cheers...
    I did the same, but It looks like all it did was disable desktop effects. When I enable desktop effects again, it disappears again. SO basically, if you do it this way, the solution for the disappearing titlebar when desktop effects is to... deactivate desktop effects...

What can we do to have both?

Quote Originally Posted by bijeeshvs View Post
    hi buddy whats your problem is you messed up the window manager (the program that handles window border) metacity is the default window manager but as you have installed compiz Emerald is the best for you, u can open a terminal and type in
    sudo apt-get install emerald
    for installation after installation press Alt+F2 and type in emerald --replace also check in the settings of compiz that window decoration plugin is enabled
    if the title bar disappears after reboot go to the sessions manager in settings and add a new startup program in the command box type in emerald --replace and save

pls write back if this was helpful
    I tried this, nothing happened.
    "Without struggle, there is no progress." - Frederick Douglass (1818 - 1895)

Beans

Smile Re: title bar missing

Actually i dont know about your display drivers status, if you have not enabled the restricted drivers for your display pls enable them and here is a detailed guide about the installation and configuration of everything you need to enable the Desktop effects, follow it and i am pretty sure you will fix it. best of luck

dont worry we can fix it............................

http://forlong.blogage.de/article/20...-as-Xfce-users

Beans

Im having these same issues as well. I first had an issue with getting advance desktop effects enabled and solved this by manually installing ATI1950 drivers.