Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dvd-amd64 and amd64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

dvd-amd64 and amd64

I was thinking of trying out the amd64 version of Hardy. But downloading from http://www.acc.umu.se/~mighty/ubuntu/ has to different versions. Whats the difference of:

ubuntu-8.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent and

ubuntu-8.04-dvd-amd64.iso.torrent??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: dvd-amd64 and amd64

The desktop version will fit onto a single CD-R(W) and the DVD will only fit on a DVD as it is around 3.5GB in size

Hope this helps. And I assume you have a 64 bit processor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for your reply man. Yeah i have a 64 bit processor. I've been thinking of installing Ubuntu single boot. But my current setup is Dualboot Win XP X64 PRO and Hardy Heron. How can i best make a Ubuntu single boot from here on after downloading the torrent? Should i install from windows or from within the current Ubuntu for example?

I'm also a bit concerned because i only have an external dvd rom. Can this become a problem? Or is it simple enough if the disc (dvd/cd) is checked and ok after it's burned?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure how installing from an external disc would work. If you can boot from it, it should be fine

And if you just want Ubuntu on your PC, make sure you back everything up onto a separate drive (preferably external) or to CD's/DVD's so you won't lose anything. It's simple enough to install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm going to make a backup on an external HDD. I have three internal drives. How will the installer detect these? I reckon it'll detect them automatically. But all howtos i have found so far only explains how the install proceeds on one HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The installer will detect all of them, and only install on 1 drive, however you can format the other 2 drives if you like later on, or from the Live CD Session

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Nice. And after I've backed up my drives, if i understand everything correct, i can just make a clean install from the live cd from within Ubuntu!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you've backed everything up, and are 100% sure about that, then yes.

As long as I don't get the blame for any data loss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm a bit more confident now. Thanks a million man. I'm just a bit nerves since I've never had a Ubuntu single boot. And far from a successful 64 bit. But I'll give it a try after I've managed to backup my 600 GBs. Boring job. But all the more fun once it's done. Kinda tired of Win XP no. Installing should be a breeze now. Getting my ATI X700 card to work with tv out and working overlay (with compiz) should be more like hell i think. Hehe....I might just go for the big desktop option. Not quit sure yet.

Edit: while I'm asking newbie questions here: How large swap do you recommend? I'm running a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ 1,181 GHz, 3,00 GB of RAM. Three internal HDDs (aprox 600 GB) and a 750 GB Backup disc.
    Last edited by peakshysteria; April 26th, 2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: SWAP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ATi support is getting better, you shouldn't have too much difficulty.

And if you want to use Windows for something you can always try Wine - or install it in a Virtual Machine (you'll need a relatively powerful machine for that though)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast