Thread: Hardy install on Lombard hangs on Python2.5

Beans

Hardy install on Lombard hangs on Python2.5

EDIT: Well, I got all the way to installing the Kernel, when the install failed. Short of burning a fresh disc at a super-low speed, are there any other steps/precautions to take before I make another coaster? Thanks!

I'm trying to install Hardy Heron from the alternate CD onto a 333Mhz G3 Lombard. I've been running OS X 10.3.9 with no specific issues, but I'm hoping it would be a lot more useful with Hardy and, once I've got that set up, possibly xfce.

It now consistently hangs at "Configuring Python2.5", 66%. The drives go quiet and it just stares at me, mocking me. I've given it 15 minutes each time to resolve itself, with no luck.

I'd gotten one of the daily beta builds installed onto this machine from the LiveCD, but I ruined that install when the power went out while installing updates.

I know the CD drive in this thing has gone stupid, unless it's some sort of power management thing... Sometimes it just won't read these discs right, especially when the hardware's warmed up... It's about 1 in every 6 tries that I'll get the CD mounted and into the installer. But, every time I've gotten the CD to mount, it hangs at the exact same place.
    Last edited by 550sc; April 26th, 2008 at 05:46 PM.