Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Upgrade from 7.10 -> 8.04 hangs as soon as it begins

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    15
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Upgrade from 7.10 -> 8.04 hangs as soon as it begins

    I'm currently running Ubuntu 7.10 on my Lenovo T61. Whenever I attempt to run an upgrade from either the alternate CD or from the Update Manager, I get the following:



    It does not matter which way I attempt doing it--if I go through the update manager it will give me the 'update notes', download the two files, use gksu to prompt me for admin privileges and then it stalls. If I hit the 'update' button from the autorun off of the cd (or, alternatively, try "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade") it asks me for admin and then gives that same picture again. I left it running for 8 hours last night in the vain hope that it would work.... but it didn't. Any prospective help would be awesome.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    15
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Upgrade from 7.10 -> 8.04 hangs as soon as it begins

    Slight bump, but here's the image it will sometimes show when it first starts up "Distribution Upgrade"



    After that, however, it just hangs on me... and that's getting old. Any ideas?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    7

    Re: Upgrade from 7.10 -> 8.04 hangs as soon as it begins

    I was just about to make the same thread before i saw this, I am having the same issue, the upgrade manager will freeze up and never recover, here is a screenshot:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    15
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Upgrade from 7.10 -> 8.04 hangs as soon as it begins

    Dresen, could you do me a favor with the following two things:
    First of all, could you check and see whether you are using the "US" or the "Main" server for apt? You can figure it out in System->Administration->Software Sources.
    Secondly, drop into terminal and "cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d" and tell me what, if anything, is in that folder. I have a theory I want to test... Thanks.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    7

    Re: Upgrade from 7.10 -> 8.04 hangs as soon as it begins

    Quote Originally Posted by a10waveracer View Post
    Dresen, could you do me a favor with the following two things:
    First of all, could you check and see whether you are using the "US" or the "Main" server for apt? You can figure it out in System->Administration->Software Sources.
    Secondly, drop into terminal and "cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d" and tell me what, if anything, is in that folder. I have a theory I want to test... Thanks.
    I'm using the Main server and my sources.list.d folder is empty

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    15
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Upgrade from 7.10 -> 8.04 hangs as soon as it begins

    Quote Originally Posted by dresen View Post
    I'm using the Main server and my sources.list.d folder is empty
    Well... that shoots down my theory. I'm using US and have things in that folder. Have you tried the alternate cd route?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    60

    Re: Upgrade from 7.10 -> 8.04 hangs as soon as it begins

    Quote Originally Posted by a10waveracer View Post
    I'm currently running Ubuntu 7.10 on my Lenovo T61. Whenever I attempt to run an upgrade from either the alternate CD or from the Update Manager, I get the following:



    It does not matter which way I attempt doing it--if I go through the update manager it will give me the 'update notes', download the two files, use gksu to prompt me for admin privileges and then it stalls. If I hit the 'update' button from the autorun off of the cd (or, alternatively, try "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade") it asks me for admin and then gives that same picture again. I left it running for 8 hours last night in the vain hope that it would work.... but it didn't. Any prospective help would be awesome.
    A lot of people have been having this problem. It's HUGE with this upgrade. I had the same problem all day Friday (April 25th). Most people thought it was due to servers being too busy, but I checked by manually using FTP or HTTP to connect, and was able to copy files.

    In any case, I was able to work around that particular problem with a hack. I saw a post so please follow with utmost discretion. Here goes.

    In my case, when the "Distribution Upgrade" dialog froze, I had to manually kill it. I did this by checking the running processes. In my instance, running the command:
    ps aux | grep python
    revealed a process that looked something like:
    /usr/bin/pygthon /tmp/tmpXgyyZ/hardy
    So I killed that process and the dialog went away.

    Checking /etc/apt, I discovered that my sources.list file had already been converted to hardy sources so my update manager was going nuts and informing me that I had over 500 updates pending. Fortunately, I had a backup of /etc/apt/sources.list and copied that to restore sanity.

    Anyway, once restoring sources.list, I ran the following command:

    sudo /usr/bin/python /tmp/tmpXgyyZ/hardy --frontend=DistUpgradeViewText --mode=desk

    (all on one line)

    This will fire up the installation, in text mode.

    In my case, the upgrade completed and I was able to login to Hardy. My main problems after that were mostly Video related (nvidia card), wireless NIC confusion as well as driver clashes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    15
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Upgrade from 7.10 -> 8.04 hangs as soon as it begins

    Well, that didn't work, but maybe now we're getting somewhere. This is the error I now get:
    2008-04-26 17:19:58,939 INFO release-upgrader version '0.87.24' started
    2008-04-26 17:19:58,940 DEBUG Using 'DistUpgradeViewText' view
    2008-04-26 17:19:58,996 ERROR not handled expection:
    Traceback (most recent call last):

    File "/tmp/tmp.nbIPCS7684/hardy", line 59, in <module>
    app = DistUpgradeController(view, options)

    File "/tmp/tmp.nbIPCS7684/DistUpgradeController.py", line 145, in __init__
    self.sources_backup_ext = "."+self.config.get("Files","BackupExt")

    File "ConfigParser.py", line 511, in get
    raise NoSectionError(section)

    NoSectionError: No section: 'Files'

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    4

    Re: Upgrade from 7.10 -> 8.04 hangs as soon as it begins

    I've attached an image of how far I get using the graphical update manager and the output from running apt-get clean, apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: Upgrade from 7.10 -> 8.04 hangs as soon as it begins

    Now it's working with the text front-end, but not the GUI front-end. The only thing I did different was use "sudo su -" to get a real root login.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •