Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I remove the Ubuntu recovery partition in Dell 1420N from within Ubuntu?

Beans

How do I remove the Ubuntu recovery partition in Dell 1420N from within Ubuntu?

Hi,

I would like to remove the Feisty recovery partition that came with my Dell 1420N originally. I would like to do that within Nautilus, if at all possible. Is there a way to do it?

Beans

Re: How do I remove the Ubuntu recovery partition in Dell 1420N from within Ubuntu?

You could probably do this using partitioning tools such as gparted (should be listed somewere in the system menu).

Beans

Re: How do I remove the Ubuntu recovery partition in Dell 1420N from within Ubuntu?

How is the partition identified in gparted?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcasanov View Post
    How is the partition identified in gparted?
    I don't own a dell laptop so can't be specific. On my maxdata laptop, its an NTFS partition.

Beans

Hi, here I have attached a screenshot of what appears on gparted, so that could maybe help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

It seems like on your system, the rescue partitions are FAT (/dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2). I am not sure whether its normal for DELL to use two partitions for the rescue files.

Beans

Do you think the partition with the larger space is the recovery partition?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Leave the FAT16 partition alone; that's the diagnostic partition. You may safely remove /dev/sda2 if you choose.
    Registered Linux user #32508.
    I use openSUSE on my Latitude E6500.

Beans

Thank you! I think I'll go ahead and delete the /dev/sd2 partition, which might just be the recovery partition.

Beans

Okay, I deleted the partition. This screenshot is the result of what shows up in Gparted. I would like to merge this unused space back into my main / partition. How do I do that?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast