Thread: Grub+Install question-Dual boot Hardy/Feisty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Grub+Install question-Dual boot Hardy/Feisty

My laptop has a working dual boot setup with XP and Feisty. I am looking to change that to a dual boot with Hardy (replacing XP) and my working Feisty setup. Feisty has separate root and home partitions.

Here is the installation question:
    If I boot up the live Hardy CD and install from that (putting the whole installation on that one formerly XP partition--don't need help with partitioning), will grub also pick up the Feisty install - - or do I have to watch out for a few options that I missed before.I'd like to avoid having to manually edit the grub menu everytime I do a kernal update. If I need to do chain loading, then I'd like to work out those details before doing the install as I only have access to this one computer (I've already gathered the references for that).

Postscript: I'm considering buying a larger HD for this machine, in which case the question would then be Hardy/Gutsy/Feisty.

And for those who would ask why?
    Feisty = known working for production machine;
    Gutsy = replacement for Feisty as I gain assurances it plays nicely with my demands;
    and one other for testing and all around self punishment (must have something to "fix" if everything else is working as advertised).

Ten years with *nix and still a noob. I remember doing this with LILO a while back, but never with multiple Ubuntus.

All replies appreciated.
    Last edited by Harpoon; April 26th, 2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: failed to include the first paragraph

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub+Install question-Dual boot Hardy/Feisty

Not tried with 2 versions of ubuntu but grub always picked up the kernels from any other distro I had installed, however I do have a seperate small /boot partition which is common among all distros.
    "Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899
    Ubuntu user #24001

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

afaik, the installation routine should pick up other os's, including other versions of ubuntu and add them to grub...

Beans

I'd like to avoid having to manually edit the grub menu everytime I do a kernal update.
    If Hardy doesn´t pick up your Feisty you will have to chainload.One which you choose to chainload put below this line

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

and you will not have to manually edit grub because of kernel update.