Thread: Canon MP210 Printer/Scanner in 8.04

Beans

Canon MP210 Printer/Scanner in 8.04

Yesterday installed 8.04 (my first Ubuntu!) after finally tiring of Vista choking my 4 year-old AMD Athlon processor.

Mostly great - I can even use my Soundblaster card that Vista made sound like garbage, but when I came to install my printer - a Canon Pixma MP210 - I've found that there is no default printer driver for it in 8.04.

I selected the Canon MP150 driver which *kinda* works (I can print in low res only), but is there any way I can get a proper working solution for this?

Also, the printer includes a scanner function. I found two deb packages at http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0028481.asp callewd ScanGear which claim to "allows your computer to interface with the scanner element of your Canon multifunctional device".

I downloaded and double-clicked the deb packages which installed OK, but there is no link in my navigation to use this tool, and no instructions on Canon's website - anyone know how I can use these packages to make use of my scanner?

Thanks for reading.

Beans

Re: Canon MP210 Printer/Scanner in 8.04

I think you will found the driver only on australia pages,

for other, like 520 510 on asiatic pages. I don't know what they do by canon.

http://www.canon.com.au/drivers/default.aspx

take your driver.

I think you will get scangearmp, you make a link to it to desktop.
    Then you have all you need.

This software dosn't intall automatic in a menu.

Beans

Hey, thanks for helping. I got the scanner software working. I also changed the printer driver for the one on the Canon website however it still only lets me print at low dpi resolutions. I'll keep looking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hey! I had the exact same issue and it was solved by following themunkee's advice. Look for my posts and look at those answers. They worked for me for both scanner and printer.

Here's the thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=556980&page=3

Hope this helps!
    yeats - Ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi!
    I guess that all of you are using 32bit linux, but what about 64bit? I mean is there any way to install these drivers on 64bit Ubuntu 7.10? I have a Canon pixma mp210 and got strange behaviour of this device. After a while it suspends to print.