Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hardy - broadcom 4306 - no hair left!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Hardy - broadcom 4306 - no hair left!

no problem, glad we got it working, and yeah...sorry, but I won't be able to help you with your mouse, i never bother with extra buttons. Good luck with it though, i'm sure you'll find some answers.

Beans

Instead of making a new thread, Iĺl keep it in this one.

My wireless network does not get past

Code:
    May  3 14:07:42 desktop kernel: [  537.807625] wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
    May  3 14:07:42 desktop kernel: [  537.807635] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:19:cb:17:9e:0f
    May  3 14:07:42 desktop kernel: [  537.808025] wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
    May  3 14:07:42 desktop kernel: [  537.808031] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:19:cb:17:9e:0f
    May  3 14:07:42 desktop kernel: [  538.006407] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:19:cb:17:9e:0f
    May  3 14:07:42 desktop kernel: [  538.205409] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:19:cb:17:9e:0f
    May  3 14:07:42 desktop kernel: [  538.404909] wlan0: authentication with AP 00:19:cb:17:9e:0f timed out
    May  3 14:07:47 desktop NetworkManager: <info>  Old device 'wlan0' activating, won't change.
    I can see wireless networks, just not connect. While my laptop (on XP) has not trouble at all connecting to my AP.

Code:
    *-network:0             
           description: Network controller
           product: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 3
           bus info: pci@0000:03:03.0
           version: 03
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: bus_master
           configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=64 module=ssb
    Any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

have you tried running the modprobe commands i have mentioned above? also, can you post the output of
    Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    , somehow it seems to have more than one entry somewhere for device "wlan0".

Also, can you configure it manually?
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid [name of your network] key [network key] && sudo dhclient wlan0
    where you replace the things in square brackets with the corresponding info, e.g. replace "[name of your network]" with "Home" (without the quotes) if that's what your network is called.
    Last edited by lswest; May 3rd, 2008 at 02:19 PM.

Beans

Code:
    erwin@desktop:~$ sudo cat /etc/network/interfaces
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

erwin@desktop:~$ 
    erwin@desktop:~$ sudo modprobe -r bcm43xx
    erwin@desktop:~$ sudo modprobe -r b43
    erwin@desktop:~$ sudo modprobe -r ssb
    erwin@desktop:~$ sudo modprobe b43
    erwin@desktop:~$ sudo modprobe ssb
    erwin@desktop:~$ lshw -C network
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
      *-network:0             
           description: Network controller
           product: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 3
           bus info: pci@0000:03:03.0
           version: 03
           capabilities: bus_master
           configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=64 module=ssb
      *-network:1
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) LAN Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 8
           bus info: pci@0000:03:08.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 01
           serial: 00:12:3f:b4:74:c1
           capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.23-k4-NAPI firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.33 latency=64 maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 module=e100 multicast=yes
      *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           physical id: 2
           logical name: wlan0
           serial: 00:0f:66:1d:72:f5
           capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

Also, can you configure it manually?
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid [name of your network] key [network key] && sudo dhclient wlan0
    where you replace the things in square brackets with the corresponding info, e.g. replace "[name of your network]" with "Home" (without the quotes) if that's what your network is called.
    I keep getting errors when trying to do that. Replaced my networkkey with the always appropriate "wah".

Code:
    erwin@desktop:~$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid errrwin@gmail.com key wah && sudo dhclient wlan0
    Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
        invalid argument "wah".
    erwin@desktop:~$
    I tried connecting with my AP wide open, no security whatsoever, but that ends up in the same error: timed out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

what kind of encryption are you using? WEP hex/ascii, or WPA? if it's WPA i'm not sure of the command to specify that in the terminal. And i assume you were unable to connect via the network manager after running the modprobe commands?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lswest View Post
    what kind of encryption are you using? WEP hex/ascii, or WPA? if it's WPA i'm not sure of the command to specify that in the terminal. And i assume you were unable to connect via the network manager after running the modprobe commands?
    I'm using WPA-PSK, nothing fancy.

I have not been able to connect at all, the modprobe commands didn't help either.

I might just do another clean install (as it doesn't take very long at all) and try again on a fresh install.

That will however not be today, I'm going to enjoy the sun. But I'll be back...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by goslings View Post
    No errors when I reboot - or none that I can tell
    First, re: errors: you can see many errors from during and after bootup at _System_Administration_System Log.

OK, I just got through this myself, getting a TrueMobile 1300 (=Broadcom 4306) working on my Dell Inspiron 5100.

Did you try both ndiswrapper+windows drivers and b43xx? If so, I would recommend to remove ndiswrapper and then redo the b43xx install. That worked for me.

Best of luck!

Beans

Angry Re: Hardy - broadcom 4306 - no hair left!

Quote Originally Posted by sixsmith View Post
    First, re: errors: you can see many errors from during and after bootup at _System_Administration_System Log.

OK, I just got through this myself, getting a TrueMobile 1300 (=Broadcom 4306) working on my Dell Inspiron 5100.

Did you try both ndiswrapper+windows drivers and b43xx? If so, I would recommend to remove ndiswrapper and then redo the b43xx install. That worked for me.

Best of luck!
    The one thing about forums is trying to get through the entire one and figure out what steps did and did not work for someone with the same hardware.

I was wondering what steps actually did work for you. I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 with the Broadcom 4306 wireless card. I think it is also known as the TrueMobile 1300 rev02.

I've tried the forums for using bcm43xx as well as ndiswrapper and I have yet to get the wireless to connect. This whole episode almost makes me want to return to Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sridenour View Post
    I would look at this.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...83&postcount=1

I figured r all the hoops and rings of fire I jumped through to loose the card after every reboot (like you seem to be doing), that anything as simple as what was written there wouldn't work. Yet it did and the card shows up after several reboots.
    the file at that page "http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2"

returns the following when the command line "tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2" is run:

bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

it wont extract. cannot proceed further.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by adept_king View Post
    the file at that page "http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2"

returns the following when the command line "tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2" is run:

bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

it wont extract. cannot proceed further.
    If you have a working wired connection in Ubuntu, you might try deleting that file and downloading it again by doing the following:
    Code:
    wget -c http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2
    I am guessing that the file is corrupt. I just downloaded the file and was able to extract the file.

If you don't have a working connection in Ubuntu, you should try downloading the file again.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456