Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu blows (at least for me at the moment)

Beans

Ubuntu blows (at least for me at the moment)

ok, first off i'd like to say this sucks. but moving on i'd like to say to the people who make the MAJOR decisions for Ubuntu START SUPPORTING FLUXBUNTU. i currently run Fluxbuntu on a Dell Dimension desktop running a 500 MHz Intel Pentium processor with 128 MB of RAM (the only machine i own). i tried installing Xubuntu but it ran like a 486 trying to run Windows XP. Fluxbuntu runs perfect on my machine, and i'd like to say that the Ubuntu community have saved my *** too many times to count. but here's my problem FLUXBUNTU ISN'T AN OFFICIAL UBUNTU RELEASE. which means i can't upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy when everyone else does. the only difference between the full blown Ubuntu and Fluxbuntu is the fact that it uses Fluxbox for the WM, ROX for the filer and a bunch of lightweight applications rather than the heavyweights of the major Ubuntu releases, so under the hood it's the same OS. SO WHY CAN'T I UPGRADE TO HARDY?!?!?!?!?!?! oh, and i'd like to say that i've tried "sudo apt-get dist-upgrae" in the terminal. it doesn't work. and i've also tried the update manager, that also doesn't work, oh, and having a machine this old means i can't burn a CD and i can't install a "supported" Ubuntu distro. this blows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ubuntu blows (at least for me at the moment)

There have been major advances for older hardware from Xubuntu 7.10 in 8.04, you will probably find that things are much improved if you try Xubuntu 8.04.

If the full Xubuntu 8.04 doesn't suit, you can select the "Install a Command Line System" option on the Alternate CD then install the packages you want.

CD's of almost all Linux distros can be purchased on the net very cheaply.

There is a typo in your command, it should be
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Beans

Last time I checked Fluxbuntu did have some custom packages in their own repository, so it's no fault of Ubuntu. Plus they made some ridiculous design decisions. I didn't like it at all. I would much rather just take the 20 minutes it takes to install fluxbox on xubuntu or something... and frankly XFCE shouldn't be much slower.
    For the most part it's the programs that drain the system resources and not the desktop.
    I doubt that firefox will show much of a performance difference on either of the three DE's, or Fluxbox.

Beans

I'd second that your system should be more than capable of running Xfce. I have a box with a P3 450mHz pro and 128MB RAM and Xfce runs fine
    If it's really an issue, maybe try switching to Debian since it has less bloat and would probably be better suited to older hardware.

Beans

ok, i understand what you all are saying, but here's the problem. I DON'T HAVE A CD BURNER NOR DO I HAVE ACCESS TO ONE. so unless you all are willing to talk me through a floppy install i'm stuck with Fluxbuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: Ubuntu blows (at least for me at the moment)

Quote Originally Posted by rockerphil View Post
    ok, i understand what you all are saying, but here's the problem. I DON'T HAVE A CD BURNER NOR DO I HAVE ACCESS TO ONE. so unless you all are willing to talk me through a floppy install i'm stuck with Fluxbuntu
    If you hurry, you might be able to attend an installfest. Look around and see if there are people that could "be your friend" and help you out with a CD. If your in finland or near boston. PM me. I would love to help you out.

And about your first comments... theres ALOT more to an environment than most people think. For example, localization, aiding people with disabilities, stable work environment, familiarity with existing systems for newer users. I personally have Hardy on my computer which is a 600mhz 200mb of ram lappy with windowmaker. I am not going to start chewing cononical to start supporting windowmaker just because. And the support is all about commercial support not really ubuntu. They jsut help out with the updates.
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

here's the problem. I DON'T HAVE A CD BURNER NOR DO I HAVE ACCESS TO ONE.
    Here's a solution: www.linuxmedia.co.uk/

And another: www.ebay.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This is somewhere out of topic but close to the situation. I have a Pentium 2 Toshiba laptop with 64mb ram. Which is the best productive OS for this thing? I tried Fluxbuntu, it's ok, but still quite slow and lacking in features. Pls dont suggest anything complicated sinse I plan to give this thing to a poor friend. He only plans to use it for typing on spreadsheets and word proccessors and printing them out. Maybe surfing the net once in a while...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you considered installing from a flash drive? Does your system have USB ports?

Darkhornet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Hornet View Post
    Have you considered installing from a flash drive? Does your system have USB ports?
    It's a 500mhz CPU, so the chances are it won't support booting from USB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast