Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Too Hardy for a newbie like me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Too Hardy for a newbie like me

Hi Jeffrey:
    You are smart to stay with Gutsy. That's when my problems began. I will never upgrade right away again. What worked for me was a combination of sudo apt-get install gnome and a second reconfiguration command. Oddly, though, I came back -- not in Ubuntu where I was -- but in a limping Kubuntu platform. Places doesn't work because I have Konquerer and not Navigator, and I can't move or resize windows. Finally, "suspend" apparently doesn't work either. Gutsy worked great for me. So did Feisty, the prior release. Still, I think I am on the way back and am so haqppy I am no longer in permanent terminal mode.
    Keith

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Interesting way to thank people. umm... I am not sure how you did it... but that desktop is NOT the way it should be. You may want to really consider a reinstall. Runing kubuntu when you told it to run ubuntu and other what not is one crazy setup. And if you don't have any window borders then it sounds like you have a problem with the window manager. Very interesting indeed.
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Wish I had known what you know before I upgraded to Hardy.
    Keith Jones
    Old Bridge, NJ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I am not sure how this happened, but I seem to have an odd mixture of Ubuntu and Kubuntu. The logo at the top is Ubuntu red instead of Kubuntu blue. Navigator just wigs on and off before it dies. But Kongueror works. What I miss most is the toolbar with the bookmarks on it in Firefox. I can live with the unresponsive windows, since I can maximize and close them from the bottom tabs. Someone else told me there are a lot of bugs in hardy and said he is waiting a few months. I think I will do the same.

I have several Linux books I can read in the meantime. I also bought a Dell recently (the problems are on an Acer notebook). I will get an external drive for it and run Linux from there. I think the only answer is to reinstall Linux on this notebook, but I am wary because I have a dual-boot system. I don't even know how to delete Linux from the partition before reinstalling.

I feel like a traitor still having a dual-boot. Here are my excuses. It is terrific doing nothing but financial stuff on the Vista side so that I never see spyware there. All my regular browsing is in Linux. Besides, I have a language program and audio tape resoration program that both require Linux. I have been on Linux since last September and have loved every minute of it until now. I have no plans to go back to the dark side.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: Too Hardy for a newbie like me

Well, I would recommend that if you want everything restored to the way it should be backup your data and do a full resinstall.
    This time try it this way.
    Give your system about 7-10GB oh "/" for your installed files... Then make another partition for swap (At least as much as your ram if you have more than 1 GB, and at about double if you have less than 1 GB) and then one your "/home/"
    that way, when ever there is a new version of linux that you would like to try... you can simply format "/" and not format "/home/" and make the computer aware that you want that as your "/home/" then all your personal settings are still there and all you have to do is install your extra software.. all of which can be does automatically too, because your using a package manager.
    So... I say you backup your data somewhere, then format the drive and go that way. Not much more I can say about it.
    Good luck...(You have to PM me from this point on... I will be unsubscribing from this thread.)
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234