Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too Hardy for a newbie like me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Too Hardy for a newbie like me

You are right, At first the GUI hadn't downloaded. I was able to download gnome with this command: sudo apt-get install gnome. The problem is that gnome still doesn't boot up when I turn my compuer on. I tried startx gnome, and I get the fatal error, no screens response.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cool Re: Too Hardy for a newbie like me

I keep asking, but you don't respond.
    Did you run this?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    if not... and you needed too... then you would have gnome installed but you wouldn't have it come to a graphical login.
    That's why I keep pestering you.
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi encompass:
    Thanks for your intest. It appears that gnome originally didn't get downloaded when I upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy. I did the sudo apt-get gnome command -- after ubuntuy desktop didn't work. That seemed to have downloaded gnome, but it still doesn't come up when I turn my computer on. I tried to jumpstart it myself with the command: startx gnome. I got the response: fata server error. no scres found. xio fatal error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X ":0,0"

When I sign off with the sudo halt command, I get the response: stopping gnome display manager. Tat makes me think gnome was downloaded sucesfully. But the computer is in terminal moe every time I start it up. I have an Acer 5570 2067 notebook. I have a dual boo system. Somewhere, I think I read that starting from scratch with Ubuntu could compromise the Windows side.

dowkeith

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi Peter09

I have typed startx gnome. I get a "fatal server error" message. No screens found xio fatal io error 104 (connection reset by peer)on x ",0"

dowkeith

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi encompass:

I can't remember if I responded to this or not. I have an Acer 5570 2067 notebook that I bought last summer. It came with Windows Vista installed. I hated Vista so much I turned to linux in September but took the cowardly way of going to a dual boot system. As things turned out, that may have been a good thing. I am pretty tusre the install worked because I get "stopping gnome display manager" when I give a halt command.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

try re-installing ubuntu, for the easiest way to solve it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi Riven0

I did the command sudo apt-get gdm and got an inalid operation response. I think I already have gdm, as my system tells me it stopped gnome display manager every time I give a sudo halt command. The display manager appears to come up, but I never get out of terminal mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi bilal.17

I thought about reinstalling. My only concern is that I have a dual boot system. Somewhere, I think I read that if you uninstall Ubuntu, Windows on the other side could collapse with it. If I reinstall Ubuntu, would this threaten Windows? I use Ubuntu 99% of the time. I only go to Windows to move money to my checking account and to pay bills online. I use Ubuntuy for all other browsing. I think Vista sucks, but if I have a second system for financial transactions only, it seems safer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Try reconfiguring X:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    follow the prompts, restart and see if it helps.

I presume you're using some software for your bank transactions? I do all that stuff from ubuntu.
    Why can't life have a sudo apt-get install -f command?
    Install VMWare Server 2 on a text-only system
    Need help getting your printer working in Linux?
    It's all about choice, right? Then stop flaming Windows users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi lazyart:
    Would it make sense to get my old Fesity Fawn disc out, reinstall and then update to Hardy Heron? I haven't figured out how to do this in terminal mode yet. What does the reconfigure command do.

Re: the other question. For some reason, my bank's online account works better on bill paying with Windows. I am also used to sweeping for viruses and sypware with Webroot. I don't have that same feeling wi Linux. I once had Avast, but it gummed up my system. I have heard there are few viruses or spyware items with Linux. It just seemed like a good idea to do general web browsing on one platoform and all other browsing on the other. Make any sense?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast