Thread: [SOLVED] no cube effect with compiz fusion hardy-please help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question [SOLVED] no cube effect with compiz fusion hardy-please help

I just installed Hardy and have gone through great pains to get compiz fusion up and running. I have used both Ubuntu Gutsy and Mint Daryna and have been able to get compiz fusion working flawlessly in both, but with Hardy it has been a different story.

I use Envy since it works the best with my ATI Radeon X1150 graphics card. I have the latest driver installed and also have the compizconfig-settings-manager installed. I am also using the fusion-icon for compiz fusion settings.

I can get most if not all other settings to work properly, but cannot get the cube working like it should. When I use ctrl-alt and the left right arrows, it flips to another side but no cube. Also, when I use ctrl+alt and the left tab button, rather than getting a cube I get a flat screen that I can manipulate much like the cube, but it is only 2 sided.

Any suggestions? I was also wondering why I can't get compiz-switch to work with hardy. I really have enjoyed linux and am willing to give hardy a try, but I have never had to work so hard to get a linux distro working the way I want it. Still better than Windows however.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice anyone can give me on this issue.

Huntwell
    Last edited by huntwell; April 26th, 2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: solved

Beans

Re: no cube effect with compiz fusion hardy-please help

Sounds like you need to up the amount of virtual desktops compiz draws. Go to Compiz Settings > General > Desktop Size and increase the horizontal size to whatever you want it to be. 4 sides is a cube (since top and bottom are implied), and three is a triangle sort of deal.

Beans

yeah, change to 4 horizontal size , and then, go to system>administrator>Advanced desktop settings, and activate the "desktop cube" plug-in and "rotate cube" plug-in, you must deactivate "Desktop wall" plug-plug in in order to activate desktop cube.

tell us how it goes

sam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

SWEET! Thanks guys! It worked perfectly. Any ideas on the compiz-switch, or is that something that has not been worked out for hardy yet?

If only I would have known to look at the settings. Just goes to show how much of a noob I still am.

Take care,
    Huntwell

Beans

For smoother transitions with compiz you might want to install EnvyNG

Beans

you dont need a switch, to turn compiz off just type ALT-F2 and type

Code:
     metacity --replace
    to re-activate compiz, type ALT-F2 and type

Code:
     compiz --replace

sam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I got compiz working great with help from this site:

http://forlong.blogage.de/article/20...-Compiz-Fusion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

pastalavista thanks a lot that's exactly what I have been looking for. Your a life saver as is the person responsible for writing the article thanks again.