Thread: Music player and CPU heat sink recommendations

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Music player and CPU heat sink recommendations

I am currently in the market for a music player and a quiet cpu heat sink for my computer. I have looked around and I have been unable to find a suitable product.

I am looking for a music player that will work with linux, and play ogg/flac files out of the box. I don't like the idea of installing rock box since I have a high probability of bricking the player. I don't need tons of space, 1 or 2 gigs should do just fine for me. I would like to stay under $100, but I will go up to $125.

I have an AMD x2 +4800 processor in my computer. I run the thing 24/7 so I hear it run when I sleep. I am currently running between 45 and 55 with the stock cooler. I want something that is as quiet as possible while delivering decent cooling to the processor. The heatsink cannot be taller than 6.5 inches. I would like to stay around $25, but I will go up to $35.
    Desktop:ECS nForce4M -A, AMD x2 +4800, 2gb DDR2 800, BFG 8500gt, WD 320gb, M-audio Audiophile 192 Ubuntu 7.10
    Laptop:System 76 Pangolin Value Intel T5250 1.5ghz 1gb DDR2 667, 60gb HD, 8600gt 256mb Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Music player and CPU heat sink recommendations

I would be interested in such a music player myself...

But Rockbox really isn't that hard to install. You can't really brick a supported iPod, for example, at least, not that I am aware of.

The only issue I have with Rockbox is it's not supporting a whole bunch of the newest players... once my iPod dies (it's sort of on its way) I don't know what player I'll replace it with. Maybe another, old iPod.
    Cows go moo. Quite a concept, eh?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Music player and CPU heat sink recommendations

Check CraigsList.com for a decent fan. There's usually someone in the computer section selling a decent CPU fan for cheap. The stock fans on the AMD's kinda suck & definitely are noisier than a third-party fan.

As for music player, search the cafe forums. I think there's 2 threads going (1 newer, 1 really old), where we all chatted about linux-compatible mp3 players and what they can / can't do.

Once again, CraigsList electronics section should give you a nice selection of folks trying to hock their old mp3 players.
    Folding@Home & TeamUbuntu ... the lazy person's charity! Your comp does the work while you get the warm, fuzzy, hello-kitty feeling of helping humanity. That, and we get to trounce other teams in the folding competition! Join today!