Thread: Dell Vostro 1000 bios 2.6.2

Beans

Exclamation Dell Vostro 1000 bios 2.6.2

running from CD:
    During intial setup: Language selection, loading kernel, ubuntu cylon-graphics work full-screen with NO problem.

BUT both the Beta and LTS 8.04 version generate multiple dozens of horizontal lines from the bottom of screen to about 1/3 from top of screen, making reading barely possible.

Top 1/3 is crystal clear! Turning off (default) desktop makes no change.
    I can connect to network, watch video play music and use mouse and kb, but with 2/3 of screen unusable, real operation is impossible.
    System > preferences > screen resolution : has no data; cannot select up/down resolution; detect display does nothing. Apply makes entire screen go black ......with many dozens of white horizontal lines.....

Suggestions...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Dell Vostro 1000 bios 2.6.2

Quote Originally Posted by garcol View Post
    running from CD:
    During intial setup: Language selection, loading kernel, ubuntu cylon-graphics work full-screen with NO problem.

BUT both the Beta and LTS 8.04 version generate multiple dozens of horizontal lines from the bottom of screen to about 1/3 from top of screen, making reading barely possible.

Top 1/3 is crystal clear! Turning off (default) desktop makes no change.
    I can connect to network, watch video play music and use mouse and kb, but with 2/3 of screen unusable, real operation is impossible.
    System > preferences > screen resolution : has no data; cannot select up/down resolution; detect display does nothing. Apply makes entire screen go black ......with many dozens of white horizontal lines.....

Suggestions...?
    Try these:

1) Hold ALT and F4. This will bring you to terminal session
    2) run "sudo aptitude" and perform upgrade (NOT sudo apt-get upgrade!!!)
    3) Once done, restart.

Mine works after the upgrade.

Good luck.
    Last edited by terencelhl; July 4th, 2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: typo error