Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: `sudo reboot` doesn't reboot

Beans
    Hidden!

`sudo reboot` doesn't reboot

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 6.06.2 on my server. Every time I do `sudo reboot`, everything is shutting down, I can see "Will now reboot", but it doesn't reboot.

However the computer doesn't seems completely powered off. A led is turned on. In order to complete the reboot, I need to hold the "power" button for 5 seconds, then push it again to boot the computer.

I've passed each option of the BIOS one by one, but nothing seems related to my problem. (Maybe I missed it....)

Here is the output when I try to reboot :

Code:
    Apr 25 22:19:30 jogger shutdown[4499]: shutting down for system reboot
    Apr 25 22:19:30 jogger init: Switching to runlevel: 6
    Apr 25 22:19:32 jogger mysqld[3647]: 080425 22:19:32 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Normal shutdown
    Apr 25 22:19:32 jogger mysqld[3647]: 
    Apr 25 22:19:32 jogger mysqld[3647]: 080425 22:19:32  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
    Apr 25 22:19:35 jogger mysqld[3647]: 080425 22:19:35  InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 43655
    Apr 25 22:19:35 jogger mysqld[3647]: 080425 22:19:35 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete
    Apr 25 22:19:35 jogger mysqld[3647]: 
    Apr 25 22:19:35 jogger mysqld_safe[4588]: ended
    Apr 25 22:19:38 jogger kernel: Kernel logging (proc) stopped.
    Apr 25 22:19:38 jogger kernel: Kernel log daemon terminating.
    Apr 25 22:19:38 jogger exiting on signal 15

Any hint where I can search to find the problem ?

Thanks,
    Mathieu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: `sudo reboot` doesn't reboot

I know it doesn't really answer the reboot command problem, and it might even be aliased, so this might be pointless to try, but does
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    have the same result. I have had similar problems w/ reboots/shutdowns on my laptop running hardy, but I'm away from it right now

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lsmobrian View Post
    I know it doesn't really answer the reboot command problem, and it might even be aliased, so this might be pointless to try, but does
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    have the same result. I have had similar problems w/ reboots/shutdowns on my laptop running hardy, but I'm away from it right now
    Same problem with `sudo shutdown -r now`.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Has this computer always done this?

Try looking at power management in the BIOS.

Also try upgrading the server to latest release.

Beans

I'm having the same issue. I'm running the current release of Ubuntu Server (8.04 that I downloaded less than a week ago)...the 'sudo shutdown -r now' command begins the shutdown process but the system hangs after:

*Will now restart
    [ 73.409331] Restarting system.

I don't see anything in my BIOS that might be related, although I did try flashing to the newest version to try and fix this issue...

It's a bit frustrating because I can't do much remotely if any time I need to reboot, it hangs...

Update: the halt command works just fine...

SOLVED: I turned the Dual Core option in my BIOS to Off
    Last edited by brokenshadows; June 20th, 2008 at 08:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

could be related to the "reboot=b" issue.

comment 8 at:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/115011

Beans

i have just the same problem with my box running ubuntu desktop 9.04
    i log in through ssh, then when i try to 'sudo reboot', first everything seems fine - i get the usual "i will now restart" stuff from the machine but it never starts again

BUT what is different in my case, i used to reboot it this way - through ssh - and it WORKED, but a week ago it started to "stuck" in the reboot sequence

this is a bit frustrating, because i have to administer the poor thing, but i'm 400 km away, so the go-there-push-the-button method is not so reassuring, because i have to wait, until someone get there...and i usually administer this one during nights..

when i got someone there, i was told that the box is acting like turned off (monitor -no signal from graphics card, i got dropped from ssh during the shutdown sequence), but all the fans were running (and probably the leds were on too..)
    then a had my man push the power button, and the box started booting, like it was actually off...yeah, probably it forgot to turn the fans off... :-/

so, i have no idea what is going on, nether can i check it out on the spot..
    i would really appreciate some advice - particularly, if it can be done through ssh..
    thx beforehand to anyone who tries..

Beans

around the time it happened, i was just updating packages, installed gdesklets (box uses gnome) and played with X forwarding through ssh
    could any of those invoke the problem at hand?

i tried to 'sudo reboot' when someone was logged in - no problem before, stuck now - and to first log out the user, then reboot - same. stuck.

anyone? any idea?
    Last edited by _6i; June 15th, 2009 at 04:20 AM.

Beans

in the meanwhile, i read through the linked bugreports and the box has MSI or ASUS motherboard - none of the mentioned vendors - and their problems seemed constant, but my machine just started to act wierd..

Beans
    Hidden!

I am aware of some users reporting a hang on shutdown or restart that is somehow connected with wifi cards, but can't recall a suitable link at the moment.....
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast