Thread: Macbook 8,2 What I did to get hybrid graphics working.

Beans

Macbook 8,2 What I did to get hybrid graphics working.

This is going to be a very high level guide.

1. Get EFI boot going using the following guides.
    http://dentifrice.poivron.org/laptops/macbookpro8,2/
    http://ck.kennt-wayne.de/2012/jun/ge...o-82-late-2011

2. Get your kernel source of choice. I've tested this on the latest Quantal kernel, 3.7, and 3.8-rc1, and 3.8-rc3.

3. Apply the radeon-load-bios patch that you can find in the guides above.

4. The dentifrice.poivron.org guide explains how to grab your vbios.bin. Copy it to /lib/firmware/radeon/vbios.bin

5. (This is key) Compile the kernel with the following options.
    CONFIG_DRM=Y
    CONFIG_DRM_I915-Y

DRM_RADEON=m

# This was the hardest one for me to figure out.
    # Without this the system will boot to a blank screen after
    # splash

# CONFIG_FB_EFI is not set

# These options allow your kernel to load the radeon bios before
    # the filesystem is mounted. Otherwise you will have to delay
    # loading the radeon module.
    CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
    CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
    CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/vbios.bin"
    CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware/"

6. Edit your grub.cfg to look like the following:

menuentry 'Ubuntu GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.8.0 rc3' {
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2
    set gfxpayload=keep
    outb 0x728 1
    outb 0x710 2
    outb 0x740 2
    set root='(hd0,gpt5)'
    echo 'Loading Ubuntu, with Linux 3.8.0 rc3'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root dbebd209-a59f-4cdf-b8f8-260a37655072
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-rc3-noefifb+ root=UUID=dbebd209-a59f-4cdf-b8f8-260a37655072 ro quiet splash i915.lvds_use_ssc=0
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-rc3-noefifb+
    }

7. Get suspend working properly. After resuming from suspend with the IGD card active the system would freeze when powering on the discrete card. The solution was to do step 5 in the following guide.
    http://blog.lazut.in/2012/06/vgaswit...conquered.html

After booting up with this kernel you should be able to use vgaswitcheroo.

I've made this 'guide' really high level on purpose. I expect that the people that take this on are comfortable compiling their own kernel.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Chav; January 12th, 2013 at 09:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Macbook 8,2 What I did to get hybrid graphics working.

Thanks for the instructions, as well as your more elaborate replies in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2115317. I now finally managed to get it switcheroo working as well.

Beans

Re: Macbook 8,2 What I did to get hybrid graphics working.

Thanks for your post. I'm new to Linux and this is the first one I've read that's given me hope. I've got a MBP 9,1, so the only important differences between mine and yours, I think, is Intel 4000 vs Intel 3000 and nvidia rather than radeon. What I've done is to follow y'all exactly but leave out the radeon-specific bits. I've been through this guide and SilverOne's post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2115317), as well as the associated links and so much more, but am still missing that secret sauce. I can switch to IGD just fine, but it just gives me a blank display. I can switch back with echo DIS > switch, I just have to do so with a blank screen. When I echo IGD > switch, it tells me that it's switched nouveau off but never mentions switching i915 on. With the custom kernel, it's telling me during boot
    i915: invalid ROM contents, and dmesg also chimes in with a bit about failing to find VBIOS tables.

I'm booting into EFI, have got

CONFIG_DRM=Y
    CONFIG_DRM_I915=Y

but

#CONFIG_FB_EFI is not set

gives me a kernel hang or somesuch. With
    gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2
    set gfxpayload=keep
    outb 0x728 1
    outb 0x710 2
    outb 0x740 2
    set root='hd0,gpt5'
    if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt5 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt5 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt5 d55824de-f45d-46b3-ad9f-73a8e82198a7
    else
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root d55824de-f45d-46b3-ad9f-73a8e82198a7
    fi
    echo 'Loading Linux 3.9.0-rc3-gmuxyes-fbefiyes ...'
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.9.0-rc3-gmuxyes-fbefiyes root=UUID=d55824de-f45d-46b3-ad9f-73a8e82198a7 ro quiet splash i915.lvds_use_ssc=0

I boot to blackness, then the backlight comes on, then a brief flash at what I assume should be lightdm starting up. I've tried other kernel parameters, such as i915.modeset=1 and the i915.lvds_channel=2 one, though largely without knowing what they do and without effect.

This has become much longer than I expected, sorry if I should have made it a new post. What I'm hoping is that you (or anyone) might have a guess as to why I'm failing, or what I should try next. Thanks much.