Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Macs with Hardy 'no bootable devices'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Intel Macs with Hardy 'no bootable devices'

After installing Ubuntu on an Intel Mac, you may get a 'no bootable devices' error or simply a blinking cursor after choosing Ubuntu with rEFIt., or no other operating systems show up at all when holding the Option key on startup. (You may also get a Question Mark Folder on startup). There is a bug in the installer that wipes out information about your partitions in the MBR. This data is required in order to boot what Apple calls "legacy" operating systems (meaning linux, windows).

WARNING: For those that have very complicated multi-boot systems (numerous installs of linux and/or windows). This may leave some of your installs unbootable. Please post in the forum to get specialized help with your setup.

If you Dual-Boot or Triple-Boot:

1. If you have the Question Mark Folder icon as descied above then you will need to create a rEFIt CD or install it on a USB key. Otherwise, you can install it normally from within OS X.
    2. Once you boot into the rEFIt menu, choose to start the partition tool. It will ask if you want to sync your partitions. Say yes. after rebooting, you should be able to select the Linux icon in rEFIt and it will boot into your Ubuntu install.
    3. PLEASE add your comment to this bug report. This is a serious issue and should be addressed. It will not get attention unless it affects a lot of people: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...ty/+bug/222126

Additional Problems:

After all this, choosing to boot linux from refit can cause a freeze on the Tux logo or still other problems actually booting the OS. Many people have reported this problem to go away if they power down (completely, not reboot) and try to boot into Linux a few times. Please try this first.

If that doesn't work, reinstalling Grub seems to work. Directions are here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=11
    Although it indicates that you should install to the Ubuntu partition, you may very likely end up with two boot options if you do. Just install to the MBR unless you also have / want to install windows.
    Last edited by cyberdork33; November 5th, 2008 at 06:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Intel Macs with Hardy 'no bootable devices'

I've been trying for days to gat a dual Leopard/Ubuntu setup on my mini with that same error wand was just going to post a thread asking about what to do.

Thanks for posting this! Time to install.

Beans

When I used refit's partition tool to sync the mbr, the behavior went from displaying the blank screen with white text "no bottable device" error, to sitting on a grey screen with the penguin image in the middle indefinitely.

When I did the partitioning with Bootcamp instead of gparted, the error message changed to a blank screen with white text "no operating system found." If I synced the mbr after that experience, I'd again get stuck on the indefinite grey screen with penguin.

Beans

My experience with a triple-boot malfunction may help some people out.
    My triple boot is explained here.Long story short,

I installed Boot Camp, repartitioned the new Boot Camped partition to accommodate Vista AND Ubuntu and installed both. When I held the Options key, I would have a choice between Mac and Windows. To get to Linux, I would press Windows which would put me into GRUB where I would have a choice between Ubuntu and Vista.
    So Boot Camp Option Key=
    Mac=Mac
    Windows=Windows or Linux(GRUB)

To clean install 8.04, I deleted the Ubuntu 7.10 partition and its swap and installed 8.04. But then when I held the Option key at boot-up, it only gave me an option for Mac. Whoops.
    So Boot Camp Option Key=
    Mac=Mac and that's it

Enter rEFIt. Intalled rEFIt and after syncing it gave me a choice of Mac, Linux, and Windows. But when I choose Linux, it sticks on the gray tux page and stays there. When I choose Windows, it kicks me over to GRUB like before where I have the choice between Ubuntu and Vista.
    So rEFIt menu =
    Mac=Mac
    Linux=nothing
    Windows=Windows or Linux(GRUB)(like before)

Hope this helps.

And I'm getting ready to get rid of the Vista partition.
    1)Zero out the hard drive.
    2)Repartition with gParted LiveCD.
    3)MacOS(10.4 no more boot camp)
    4)Ubuntu 8.04
    5)rEFIt
    I'll update the progress.
    Last edited by Hatfield; April 29th, 2008 at 06:51 PM.
    Homegrown Box(Ubuntu 9.04 64bit)
    Macbook C2D(2,1)(Ubuntu 8.10 64b)

Beans

For me, with Bootcamp as the partition solution, I would get a Windows startup icon while holding down the option key too, but pre-resync I would be brought to a "no operating system found" error on a blank screen. After a resync, the windows launch icon sat in the middle of the screen and wouldn't do anything further.

Beans

I had the same problem and the solution from the 1st post fixed it. Thanks!
    Now if I can figure out the rest of it... =)

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by darcyb View Post
    For me, with Bootcamp as the partition solution, I would get a Windows startup icon while holding down the option key too, but pre-resync I would be brought to a "no operating system found" error on a blank screen. After a resync, the windows launch icon sat in the middle of the screen and wouldn't do anything further.
    I still think you might have other problems with your partitions. If you are getting freezing with the default Mac chooser (by holding option) then this is likely a bug in Ubuntu, not refit... unfortunately, we still have not found the reason for it, nor a fix...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I added info to fix the refit freeze issue!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Had the same problem with kubuntu and Ubuntu-studio.
    Did a fresh install with 7.10 and did an online update.
    No problems,accept sound doesn't work yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I also did a 7.10 install, and then upgraded to 8.10 to avoid the "no system disk" error.

Sound doesn't work.
    Its very hot.
    And I haven't figured out the touchpad configuration (right clicks, and middle clicks are a complete mystery).

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast