Thread: most excellent upgrade experience.

Beans

Talking most excellent upgrade experience.

Thanks to everyone who had anything to do with making ubuntu what it is today. I had an excellent upgrade experience from ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04, on a dual boot machine running along side windows xp pro. This was probably the easiest OS upgrade i've ever done.

first, the machine:
    -an msi k8n diamond plus mb, -amd 2.6ghz x2 cpu, -2 gb ddr2 ram, -dual xtx 9600 gforce video, many hd...

second, the scenario:
    had just finished moving my data from a really old pc to the new one, after getting xp pro installed and updated, then getting ubuntu 7.10 installed and situated afterwards with my data transferred etc., then i see the 8.04 is released so i had to upgrade.
    My first step was to download the live/install cd for the new version, then i found the upgrade tool in the update manager. When i ran the update manager link for the ubuntu update it asked me for the 8.04 cd, so i insterted it. Next it began the long process... did i say long.... 8 hours later(on broadband) when it finished downloading the updated packages(which were on the cd it made me insert) it completed the install with ease and with not a single error, crash, or reboot until it had finished. Despite the extremely excessive time it took to download packages that i downloaded 10 times as fast for the live/install cd(only took 45 minutes to dl the install disk), This was not only a painless upgrade, but it was almost dummy-proof. I was so glad when I rebooted after the upgrade and all my settings, theme, and files were right where i had left them.

Thanks again to everyone involved in the ubuntu linux project.
    my hope for future upgrades,
    -that you can run the upgrade from the cd if you have it already, especially if it asks for it during the install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: most excellent upgrade experience.

Just guessing here but....(not trying to be insulting)
    Could it be that when you were prompted to insert the installer CD at the beginning of the upgrade the wording of the prompt indicated the alternate installer CD and not the liveCD? (Maybe you just missed the subtle difference?)

Was the CD you inserted was the liveCD?

I guess it was the alternate install CD that is needed.

I do know from experience that the moment you insert the Alternate installer CD into a running ubuntu box it autoexecutes and you get a lovely dialog box telling you that CD has been inserted that is loaded with packages and asking if you want to upgrade.

It is very cool indeed. No need even to specifically run the update-manager first.

Horses for courses:
    - Live CD for booting off, try before you "buy", test drive, then install as an afterthought
    - Alternate installer CD for a pure installer CD

I always download both the alternate installer and the liveCD.

The liveCD to pass to interested friends to test drive (and to use when purchasing a PC to be sure it runs under ubuntu).

The alternate installer for any upgrades on machines already running ubuntu.

If you are using ubuntu, not trying out on new hardware, then just get the alternate installer CD. Pop it in the drive...say yes to upgrade and its done in no time.

Hope that helps improve your next upgrade experience.

Beans

thanks for your reply, i thought it might have been the same case as you suggest, that it was auto playing the 8.04 live/install cd after i had downloaded and burned it, but i had removed the disk and restarted the pc before attempting the upgrade from the update manager. im not sure why it would have asked me to insert the cd, since i wasnt running the installer from the disc but from the update manager.
    as far as whether it is the live or the install disc, i thought they were the same thing. i installed this originally from the 7.10 live cd after i booted it live and loved it.
    and I think the reason for it taking so long to download the packages for the update, must just be the mirror used or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ahhh with you now.. CHeck here:
    System>Admin>Software sources.

Likely the original install CD is listed and checked. You can uncheck the box and then all package installs will go to servers via the net.

Yep you are probably right that the particular mirror you were connecting to was slow at that time. Most of the mirrors are going to be under heavy load for a few weeks. hehehe.

That said you can choose a mirror closer to you for better download times. There is even a function to ping every server and tell you which one has the faster repsonse times... its also there in System>Admin>Software Sources. Click on the drop down box and select "other".. then "Select Best Server".

Cheers