Thread: After dist-upgrade QuickSynergy slows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

After dist-upgrade QuickSynergy slows

I use QuickSynergy cause I have two computers and I simply want to use one mouse and one keyboard. While I ran gutsy on both machines, the process ran smoothly. After updating both machines, one thru the update manager, to hardy the interaction between machines became very laggy. When I would use my server's mouse and keyboard on the other client the mouse would lag and mouse clicks would hold for too long. I dont think this is a problem with synergy, but rather of the networking between the two after the update.

Is there something I should be aware of that would slow the networking down between two hardy machines?
    Registered Linux user number 438485.
    Machine registration number 344277.
    Ubuntu User number 10798.

Beans

Re: After dist-upgrade QuickSynergy slows

Hi mevets,

I was having the same problem, and fixed it by making sure that synergy is running as root.

When running it as my normal user I would received stuttering and freezes - but monitoring the background processes showed that everything seemed to run OK (no 100% CPU usage, etc.). I also ran some ping tests and found that connectivity was never disrupted. I'm not sure how to run this as a normal user yet. Anyone know a solution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

should both the server and client be run as root?
    Registered Linux user number 438485.
    Machine registration number 344277.
    Ubuntu User number 10798.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks dracnor - that worked for me. I just upgraded one computer (the synergy client) to Hardy and my other computer (the synergy server) is still Gutsy. I only had to run the client as root (but as I said, the server is still gutsy...)

Apparently it's a problem in the kernel:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/194029/

- Jason

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It appears that the slowness is due to the completely fair scheduler. You can circumvent this by manually changing the nice value of the synergyc process.

There are 2 ways you can find the process ID.

GUI: Go to system -> Administration -> System Monitor.
    look for synergyc in the list of processes on the processes tab.
    You'll notice the ID number and the nice number to the right. In non-Hardy versions of ubuntu you could right click and change the value but there is a bug in launchpad right now that will cause the process manager to crash. You'll need to change the value on the command line. Read Down.

CLI: Launch the terminal Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal.
    type ps -ux and look for synergyc. It will list your username and the next column has the process number. you'll use the process number next.

Changing Nice Value: in the terminal we're going to put in renice <nice value> <process ID>.

The nice values go from -20 to +20 with 0 being standard. I increase the value to -10 and everything is running great. I entered renice -10 7056. You'll want to change the nice value to what is fitting for you and change the process to ID to the process number you found from the earlier steps.