Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xrandr extension / fglrx driver issues

Beans

external display not working

I just finished upgrading to 8.04 and some display properties are not functioning properly. I have a z61m thinkpad with an ati x1400 card and an external monitor.

1st problem - Although I checked to use the restricted drivers (xorg-fglrx) from the hardware drivers window, when I do a fglrxinfo, I get this:

display: :1.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
    OpenGL version string: 1.2 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.3)

I'm guessing I'm not actually using the fglrx driver.
    2nd problem - when I go to screen resolution, I get an error message of "The X Server does not support the XRandR extension. Runtime resolution changes to the display size are not available." From what I've been reading, I guess that has something to do with my external monitor, right?

What should I do? I added my current xorg.conf to the thread.
    I would appreciate any help. I posted because most people's problems were with compiz, but mine is working fine, actually.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gadget_hacker; April 26th, 2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: adding xorg.conf file

Beans

Re: xrandr extension / fglrx driver issues

can someone please help.

Beans

Also suffering same issue

Beans

Question Re: xrandr extension / fglrx driver issues

I have been playing with the xorg.conf file after searching endlessly to find a solution to this problem. I found that adding this into my xorg.conf file:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "RandR" "on"
    EndSection

Seemed to fix my problem with using the screen resolution program. However, by putting that into my conf file, I lost the ability to use compiz and my laptop monitor is no longer recognized and stays blank.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Beans

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Remove the package xserver-xgl

Explanation: If you installed this previously in order to make compiz work, it will not allow direct rendering on your display. You can check out if this is what it causing the problem by running
    DISPLAY=:0 glxinfo | grep renderIf it returns an ATI renderer, it means that xgl is being displayed indirectly on the display 1. (Taken from [1])
    Warning: This might make your compiz stop working as it is configured to use XGl. A solution might be to run the Envy script in order to configure compiz.
    Also, if Compiz stopped working due to "Composite" problem, check that
    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection
    is set.

Beans

I can't believe I'm responding to my own post and still no one seems to be offering any help. I found that with the attatched xorg.conf file in the post, I can fix my resolution problems with the xrandr -s command. That way, I can keep compiz and have the resolution needed to use both screens. I just don't have any dual screen settings. It's pretty much a cloned output. I really wish someone would see this thread and be able to help me restore all of the goodness that I had with 7.10. I've seriously considered downgrading, which I would never have thought would have been a possibility with Ubuntu, only with Vista! Maybe someone can help me re-affirm my faith by giving me some tips? I'm pretty much shooting in the dark right now.

Beans

thank you so much for responding. I was pulling my hair out, because I'm not good at this sort of stuff. When I do that command, I get:

direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

So I guess my next question would be what is the envy script used to configure compiz?

also, my extensions section looks like this:

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "0"
    EndSection

Should I try and set composite to "1" first, and then try the envy script if that doesn't solve my problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by gadget_hacker View Post
    thank you so much for responding. I was pulling my hair out, because I'm not good at this sort of stuff. When I do that command, I get:

direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

So I guess my next question would be what is the envy script used to configure compiz?

also, my extensions section looks like this:

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "0"
    EndSection

Should I try and set composite to "1" first, and then try the envy script if that doesn't solve my problem?
    I was having the problem of it not using the ATI which removing the package xserver-xgl fixed. It's likely you have that from setting up beryl / compiz so then to get that working change the "0" to "Enable" for your composite setting.

I myself have the problem when I login I need to type xrandr -s 0 to get both screens going. Some other's have had the problem too and I'm not sure what the solution is. Of course at the login screen it works fine until I log in lol.

Beans

thank you so much turn1200. Removing the xserver-xgl package and setting composite to ¨enable¨ really did the trick. Everything seems to be running a lot smoother now. I only wish I could use both monitors independently, instead of just cloned output. Ubuntu only sees one screen. I guess beggers can´t be choosers. Have you gotten two monitors to really work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast