View Poll Results: monetize Ubuntu forums?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, anything to help out!

8 11.94%
  • Yea, as long as the ads are placed right and don't annoy.

29 43.28%
  • Nah, i personally Donate or purchased stuff already

22 32.84%
  • Maybe, not sure.

8 11.94%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monetize Ubuntuforums?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Monetize Ubuntuforums?

Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    if finance came into the equation it could ruin the whole freedom and mutual help concept of the forum
    My feelings exactly... 'tis not the Ubuntu way...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

having ads on the forum is a slippery slope, i certainly don't want them? what is deemed suitable? how many ads will be considered acceptable? will they spread, what's next - popups, pop unders, who decides?
    I run ads on one of my sites and I am quite careful to make them as unobtrusive as possible -- I don't want to annoy my users into never coming back, and if the admins of Ubuntuforums are intelligent folks (which I'm certain they are) I'm sure they'd think the same. I'm confident they would know how to exercise proper restraint.
    Focus is Cash in the Economics of Attention
    No one should apologize for, nor act threatened as a result of their preferences.- PapaRaven

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

if finance came into the equation it could ruin the whole freedom and mutual help concept of the forum
    totally untrue.

i help out in many many other websites and forums. Most of them have well placed ads and they don't annoy or "ruin the whole freedom and mutual help concept" like u say.

you think ubuntuforums is the only one that exists?

The ads funds are for ubuntu development or pay server costs (forums, repositories, the big amount of downloads, etc.).

by what u say u probably donate cash every day to help out costs?
    Last edited by madjr; April 25th, 2008 at 10:09 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Quote Originally Posted by PartisanEntity View Post
    I loath forums with advertising, so in my opinion your poll lacks the option: No Way!

Plus IMO you have missed the point of the Canonical business idea, it's not make money off users like you and me, it's to make money off of mass installations and support contracts for businesses, institutions and governments.
    there is the option:

No thanks, i already Donated.

i guess i should had added the option:

No thanks, i don't care to donate.

am aware they will make money of support contracts.

But right now they don't make much money and will take more years for that to happen.

anyway, if i had the money i would love to donate daily but my activity around here could have the same effect.

all these half million registered users could really contribute to faster development.

The devs have to eat too to stay alive... just like they state in the donations page
    Your support makes all the difference to improving Ubuntu, and helps to keep hungry programmers focussed on making sure Ubuntu is the distribution you love to share. We use donated funds to pay developer contracts for feature goals in the next release, or contribute them to the bounty fund.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/community/donations

OSS may seem magical, but people don't eat open source code, they need food and food costs $
    Last edited by madjr; April 25th, 2008 at 10:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If Canonical really needed the money, they probably would have been ads on the forum a long time ago. From the looks of it, they aren't struggling -- after all, they're funded by a multimillionaire...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by akiratheoni View Post
    If Canonical really needed the money, they probably would have been ads on the forum a long time ago. From the looks of it, they aren't struggling -- after all, they're funded by a multimillionaire...
    yea, could be. But there's just too much activity going on here and slightly monetizing it would be of use for more full time developers and bug squashers.

just read the donations page to get an idea
    http://www.ubuntu.com/community/donations

even mozilla monetized firefox, thats why their development is so efficient and have many full time devs and support staff.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Ubuntu should charge for ShipIt CDs. That would make money.
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I would put two adds in one at the top next to the Ubuntu Forums Logo.

And on at the bottom.

I include images showing placement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    All this activity going on and many novice asking for support, could really push funding for Ubuntu development.

i wouldn't mind at all some google ads at the bottom of the forum. Many forums have some ads and that doesn't annoy me.

In fact why hasn't this been implemented yet?

Some of us are in tight situation an can't donate at this time> http://www.ubuntu.com/community/donations

or get some stuff from the shop
    https://shop.canonical.com/

so i would love that my activity around here would help get some funds...

anything to help out!

ps. Servers and bandwidth costs to keep these forums up, repositories, main website, live-CDs downloads, etc. are not free.
    Can you imagine when you see Microsoft Server ads here or even worse competing Red Hat server ads? The next step, after the revenue potential is realized, will be to have the mouse over ajax popups. No thank you to adware.

The point of the forum here, to me at least, has been to foster a learning community where it's safe to ask questions and share knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by PartisanEntity View Post
    I loath forums with advertising, so in my opinion your poll lacks the option: No Way!

Plus IMO you have missed the point of the Canonical business idea, it's not make money off users like you and me, it's to make money off of mass installations and support contracts for businesses, institutions and governments.
    You said it so well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

but the forums are hosted by ubuntugeek out of pocket so should he have to pay to be ubuntus whole support area? I don't think so and it could be given to some deserving program group like deluge or some other unsponsored app.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast