Thread: Reading Burnt Data DVD-R

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Reading Burnt Data DVD-R

Hi all. I installed Hardy Heron yesterday. I started with the alternative cd and installed the base system. I then installed x-window-system-core, kde-core and kdm. Now here's the problems I am having:

1. When I put a burnt data DVD-R into my rom it doesn't show up on my desktop like with a normal install. Am I missing something that doesn't come with the core installs that will show an icon on the desktop everytime I put something in my rom?

2. My rom won't read the burnt data DVD-R 9 times out of 10. I've tried sudo mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 to no avail. I'm not sure if this is because of the core install or if it's a bug of some sort. The rom was bought just last year so I don't think it's defective. Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Reading Burnt Data DVD-R

What format is the movie in? Try installing the codecs.
    Go To Applications> Accessories> Terminal
    Type in between " "
    "apt-get update
    "apt-get upgrade
    "apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10- plugins-bad-multiverse
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg libxine1-ffmpeg libdvdread3
    sudo apt-get install xine-ui"

Let me know if it works.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Reading Burnt Data DVD-R

Is it a movie or data disk?
    CyberPower Gamer Ultra 7209 | AMD Athlon II X2 240 | 6 GB RAM | 1000GB & 500GB SATA-II HD
    ATI Radeon HD4550 | HP 2430 Printer | Ubuntu 11.04 | Windows 7 | ViewSonic VA703b Monitor