Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screen resolution workaround needed for Heron please.

Beans

Screen resolution workaround needed for Heron please.

Hi

Please forgive me if this information is already somewhere on the forum - I have spent sometime searching. If it is, just point me to it and accept my apologies.

I should also say that I am just in the process of kicking the microsoft habit so am a bit of a Linux newbie.

I have a Dell Latitude C800 laptop. It has a "ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M4 AGP" (according to lspci) and a 1600x1200 display. Gutsy didn't recognise my video card/monitor and only offered me 800x600 resolution. My work around for Gutsy was to go into "Administration -> Screens and Graphics" and insist that I had a 1600x1200 monitor. When I then went into "Preferences -> Screen Resolution" it would allow me to select 1600x1200 there too. If I missed the first step (change monitor size), then I would only be offered 800x600 in "Screen Resolution".

On Hardy, the "Administration -> Screens and Graphics" program is no longer present. I cannot therefore tell the system that I have a high res monitor, so "Screen Resolution" does not offer me anything higher than 800x600.

Can anyone suggest a work around for me please? I am quite happy to use shells and edit config files, I just need to know which to adjust.

Thanks in anticipation
    Colin

Re: Screen resolution workaround needed for Heron please.

It's still there, just in a different place. Go to System > Preferences > Main Menu, then choose the Applications > Other. Then you'll see the "Screens and Graphics" checkbox, which you must check. Finally, go to Applications > Other > Screens and Graphics to set up your display.

Whoever dreamed that up made a pretty serious mistake, I believe.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hurtstotalktoyou View Post
    It's still there, just in a different place. Go to System > Preferences > Main Menu, then choose the Applications > Other. Then you'll see the "Screens and Graphics" checkbox, which you must check. Finally, go to Applications > Other > Screens and Graphics to set up your display.

never mind. I am an idiot. Although the screens and graphics was unchecked so it didn't display in my menus until I edited it.

What actually fixed it was "enable display" check box in the ati catalyst.

like I said, I am an idiot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I am a very recent Linux convert and have dropped the dual boot safety blanket with the release of HH. I was afraid I would have to go back to Dual boot to avoid dealing with lower screen resolution while I waited for a fix.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Beans

Thank you *so* much for this. As another recent convert to Ubuntu minor video annoyances were no big deal for me (1 old desktop, 1 old laptop, and a eee pc). But where I was running the HH Release Candidate I wanted to do a clean install and suddenly the perfectly working Video was totally borked. After enabling the "hidden" Screens and Graphics preference and fiddling with some settings I am back to a happy 1024x768 with my Intel 82845G graphics and 10 year old Sony 200es CRT.

Thank you again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quick question- I assume that this *isn't* supposed to automatically resize the "Login" dialog to the maxiumum possible resolution?

It sets itself to display in 1600x1200, I believe- a resolution my monitor doesn't support, meaning that the bottom-right area of the login window gets cut out.

Any solutions? =\

Beans

Many thanks hurtstotalktoyou. I now have full resolution
    My wireless card (WPC54GS) is also working 'out of the box' - my laptop and I am happy, and happy to be rid of microsoft.

Thanks again.

Beans

hurtstotalktoyou:
    Thanks for the solution. A well hidden screen
    jeff

Beans

Hi

If I'm posting in the wrong place, please redirect me.

I have now decide to move from ubuntu to xubuntu on this particular laptop, and I one again have the same problem that I had in my original post at the start of this thread: I need to force xubuntu to believing that my monitor is 1200x1600, then I can use the "Display" icon within "Xfce Settings Manager" to select the same resolution (currently it only offers me 800x600 or 640x480 as ubuntu did).

Does anyone know how I can do this please?

Beans

OK - I've got it sorted.
    I simply booted ubuntu, copied /etc/X11/xorg.conf onto a USB stick, then booted xubuntu, made a backup safe copy of the same file (just in case), then copied the ubuntu one from the stick. Hey presto, I can now set 1600x1200 from the menu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast