Thread: [SOLVED] User Password

Beans

Question [SOLVED] User Password

hi, im new to ubuntu and basically all linux based OS, i was using windows.

neway i have 2 questions.

1st, I cant install any program! i mean when i try to open any .exe file, nothing happens, and i need to run some .msi files but i cant

2nd, how can i remove the password requiered for login? i really dont like the fact tht i have to enter the pass everytime considering this is my home PC and im the only user.
    Last edited by Elcid247; April 25th, 2008 at 04:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post Re: User Password

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid247 View Post
    hi, im new to ubuntu and basically all linux based OS, i was using windows.
    Welcome to the community!
    neway i have 2 questions.
    1st, I cant install any program! i mean when i try to open any .exe file, nothing happens, and i need to run some .msi files but i cant
    You can install applications from Add/Remove (Applications -> Add/Remove) or Synaptic (System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager).

Now, if you want to use Windows programs in Ubuntu, you will have to install Wine. By installing Wine you will get the ability to run .exe and .msi files.

Another option would be to use Windows inside a virtual machine (like VMware, Virtualbox, etc.)
    2nd, how can i remove the password requiered for login? i really dont like the fact tht i have to enter the pass everytime considering this is my home PC and im the only user.
    Go to System -> Adminstration -> Login Window and in the Security tab activate the Enable Automatic Login option and select your username from the drop-down menu.

The next time you'll boot your system, it will go straight to your desktop without giving you a login screen.