Thread: Help! Ubuntu 8.04 problems..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Help! Ubuntu 8.04 problems..

I've been using ubuntu for a while now. Had 7.10 and was great very smooth. I had no problem with it.

So Hardy came out. I'd through to do a fresh install. That worked fine

After installation, I have had some problems...

I don't know if its firefox 3 but when loading a page on the internet, everything is VERY laggy. When moving the mouse, you can see its laggy.

It happens when installing software or doing 2 or 3 things at once. (even when firefox is closed)

And most of the time.. it just stops. Everything crashes. cant do anything. so i have to hold the shutdown button and start it up again.
    Its doing it constantly now.

My laptop as good specs for ubuntu as it runned 7.10 amazingly! (spec is in my signature)

I would like to know what is causing my system to lag and then crash.

Thanks,
    Tom

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless

Beans

Re: Help! Ubuntu 8.04 problems..

try changing your theme to the ubuntu-human-clearlooks theme

hardy has theme elements inside the window, so might work quicker with the quicker clearlooks theme elements

post the output from terminal if you can. can you reproduce the bug, is it flash for example?

Beans
    Distro

I have now found the problem and what it is which is causing my system to crash.

It happens everytime I download something. Its my wireless driver which is causing it.

Its built into linux but I do have the windows driver. Im using that now, through ndiswrapper, and it no lagg YAY

But I need to disable the built in driver. How will I do that?

The driver is called rt78usb.

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless

Beans
    Distro

woops.. double posted