Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] ...upper memory...

Beans

Unhappy [SOLVED] ...upper memory...

The thread I found via Google didn't really have a resolution.

Installed with Wubi to Hardy Heron. Upon booting to Ubuntu, the screen immediately states

"...upper memory..."

Yeah. That's real helpful.
    Anyway, I can't access the verbose boot mode. pressing insert a lot does nothing. Would anybody like to speculate as to how I might fix this?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by CaptainOblivious; April 25th, 2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Gack! Spelling

Beans

Re: ...upper memory...

probably you are using normal gnu grub 0.97, not the grub4dos. The Insert feature is only available with grub4dos and not with gnu grub 0.97.

and grub4dos does not display "upper memory". Instead it shows "Memory upper/lower".

Beans

If that's the case, why did Wubi download the incorrect files to use? If I'm a Windows user, and it claims I can basically install Ubuntu in two clicks and a long download, I expect that to be the case.

Now I appreciate your input, but this still doesn't help me solve the problem.

Beans

Are you using grub at all?
    Also what happens when you press insert rapidly as soon as grub/grub4dos starts? Do you see a countdown?

Beans

What's the exact message displayed on screen ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm facing the same problem with the "...upper memory..." after installation. I've attempted pressing the insert button but it does nothing. Would I need to install grub4dos separately? Did the wubi that was included in the latest release of Hardy Heron download the wrong files? Thanks a bunch.

Beans

Wubi should install the correct grub4dos, and you should see some wubildr* files in the root folder as well as c:\ubuntu\winboot

Anything peculiar about your setup? Particularly when it comes to bootloaders?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well my hard drive has been partition into 3 parts C, F, and G. C is obviously for windows, F is for my program files, and G is for any other types of files such as pictures, videos, documents.
    I have wubi installed in the C drive and yes it does have the files you mentioned. When I boot it up, it gives me the windows boot menu, then i choose ubuntu. Afterward a "...upper memory..." error on the type left screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This is what my boot.ini looks if it helps.

[boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    c:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu"

Beans

Is "...upper memory..." EXACTLY as it appears on screen char by char (with dots and spaces)?
    Is there a space after the 3rd dot? "... upper memory..."
    Last edited by ago; April 26th, 2008 at 07:11 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast