Thread: Synaptic won't download; hardy

Beans

Synaptic won't download; hardy

This is pretty frustrating. I just fresh installed to hardy but everytime I try to download something from synaptic, it doesn't work. Just just sits there. Are all the servers full from traffic or what? Another thing is that my drives are mislabeled by there size. Can I rename them? I don't know why they would change that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Synaptic won't download; hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbelly View Post
    This is pretty frustrating. I just fresh installed to hardy but everytime I try to download something from synaptic, it doesn't work. Just just sits there. Are all the servers full from traffic or what? Another thing is that my drives are mislabeled by there size. Can I rename them? I don't know why they would change that.
    What do you mean that it doesn't work? Do you get any errors? If so, post them here.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans
    Hidden!

You can try switching your respository to a better one in Synatpic package manager. I had the problem with the defaults until I did this and now its flying! Once inside the package manager, click "Settings" -> Repositories. On the "download from" box, click "other". A box will come up with all the repositories available. Click the button "Select best server". It will take a minute or two to contact them all and will automatically select the fastest one from the test. Click "choose server" and close the window. Hit reload in the main window and continue as you please.

If this doesn't resolve your problem, you can always reset the repository back to the default.

Cheers.
    Last edited by dancresswell; April 25th, 2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: additional info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The updates are not working because at the moment everybody and their dogs, cats and canaries are trying to get the Hardy ISO downloaded. Be patient for a few more hours, the situation will certainly improve.

As for your drives, what is exactly the problem?
    Young Austin! Before you can make pie, you must learn to make pie. And to learn to make pie, I must teach you to make pie. Do you understand?
    - Tyrone

Beans

The drives are labeled weirdly. IN the past, it was hdd1, hda1, hdb5, etc. I new what every single one of those were but now they're labeled as size. There's been other threads on this too but no one really knows what's going on but to me, it needs to be fixed asap because the new system is literally stupid, for lack of a better word.

Also, I downloaded flash but there's no sound with youtube. Is there any reason for it or should I just do a restart?
    Last edited by Yellowbelly; April 25th, 2008 at 05:20 PM.