Page 16 of 179 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

Just wanna say "You're welcome" to those saying thanks.

Webbie,

Don't worry about that error unless you think it's a big problem - you're gonna be using gecko-mediaplayer anyway.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thinking I messed up the kubuntu install, I reinstalled then followed the instructions in the first post. I still get FF2 crashes for Realmedia, QT, and OGG streams. In FF, QT files are supposed to be handled by Quicktime plugin, Real files by Realplayer 9, and OGG by gecko-mediaplayer. I am still stumped. I never had this problem in the previous kubuntu release. Just letting you know I am still working on this...thanks for the tips BTW.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by UnderRAPS View Post
    Thinking I messed up the kubuntu install, I reinstalled then followed the instructions in the first post. I still get FF2 crashes for Realmedia, QT, and OGG streams. In FF, QT files are supposed to be handled by Quicktime plugin, Real files by Realplayer 9, and OGG by gecko-mediaplayer. I am still stumped. I never had this problem in the previous kubuntu release. Just letting you know I am still working on this...thanks for the tips BTW.

Huh? Gecko Media Player needs to handle ALL formats. Remove RealPlayer, or at least delete it's nphelix plugins. Remove whatever Quicktime plugin you have installed, not sure what that would be though.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Huh? Gecko Media Player needs to handle ALL formats. Remove RealPlayer, or at least delete it's nphelix plugins. Remove whatever Quicktime plugin you have installed, not sure what that would be though.

Nathan
    I am just reporting what saw in FF2 file types. I didn't do anything outside of what the instructions said. Anyway, I am happy to report that I got all file types working. I just got rid of gecko and am just using mplayer. FF2 doesn't crash anymore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

--PART 1/5, ESSENTIAL PACKAGES--

IMPORTANT: If you haven't already, you need to enable the Medibuntu repository. These commands are aimed at Gutsy users, so if you are using a different version of Ubuntu, please edit the first command in your Terminal and change it from "gutsy" to whatever version you are running.
    As far as I can see the commands that follow are aimed at Hardy users - perhaps you should edit the How To for the benefit of ignorant noobs such as myself.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by UnderRAPS View Post
    I am just reporting what saw in FF2 file types. I didn't do anything outside of what the instructions said. Anyway, I am happy to report that I got all file types working. I just got rid of gecko and am just using mplayer. FF2 doesn't crash anymore

Really? That's really odd, but maybe Gecko Media Player works better with FF3. Sorry about the confusion, thought you had RealPlayer installed.

Nathan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Just wanna say "You're welcome" to those saying thanks.

Webbie,

Don't worry about that error unless you think it's a big problem - you're gonna be using gecko-mediaplayer anyway.

Nathan
    But the error is preventing me from installing, removing and updating packages..

After I did this, error keeps appearing,

sudo apt-get remove mozilla-mplayer && sudo apt-get install gecko-mediaplayer
    Last edited by webbie180; May 4th, 2008 at 10:36 AM.

Beans

Thanks a lot for this tutorial. I am a complete newb in this world. Although I am connected to internet whenever I try to update I get 403 Forbidden (sudo..update), and hence can't update anything. Actually simply trying to install codec to play Mp3. Mine is 8.04 64bit edition on my Core 2 dual machine.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by webbie180 View Post
    But the error is preventing me from installing, removing and updating packages..

After I did this, error keeps appearing,

sudo apt-get remove mozilla-mplayer && sudo apt-get install gecko-mediaplayer

The commands from the "DID YOU HAVE ERRORS?" section didn't help? The -f install and dist-upgrade ones should help. Did you Google the error?

Nathan

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shr2004 View Post
    Thanks a lot for this tutorial. I am a complete newb in this world. Although I am connected to internet whenever I try to update I get 403 Forbidden (sudo..update), and hence can't update anything. Actually simply trying to install codec to play Mp3. Mine is 8.04 64bit edition on my Core 2 dual machine.

Thanks

How long has it done that? You could try selecting a different mirror as mentioned in part 1 (beneath the Medibuntu instructions).

Are you behind a proxy? Changing the repos from http to ftp may help if using a different mirror doesn't.

Nathan
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; May 4th, 2008 at 07:42 PM.

Page 16 of 179 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast