Page 4 of 179 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

No, in fact I was just installing it, following at the first time ad pedem literam. This is my second run, and I removed the reference to alsa-oss under your script line.

But as far as I can tell you when you access sound properties under System>Preferences>Sound Preferences>Devices>Sound Capture [Test] it complaints about something like "cannot construct sound pipeline"... and renders Sound Preferences unresponsive... It is needed to restart XOR reboot to use sound againg.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
    Ockham's Razor
    v4sw6+9BCSUhw4+6ln5/6pr6Fck45ma7u7+9Lw2DVWXm0l6+9DLUViOscitee8$t3b9ADM ORSTen7+9a28s8Mr2g0 hackerkey.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by qsr.nrwn View Post
    No, in fact I was just installing it, following at the first time ad pedem literam. This is my second run, and I removed the reference to alsa-oss under your script line.

But as far as I can tell you when you access sound properties under System>Preferences>Sound Preferences>Devices>Sound Capture [Test] it complaints about something like "cannot construct sound pipeline"... and renders Sound Preferences unresponsive... It is needed to restart XOR reboot to use sound againg.

Do you think the package "alsa-oss" was causing the problem? I might remove it from the install command, it was only really included due to problems with RealPlayer and pre-Hardy problems between Firefox and Adobe Flash.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

That's exactly what I removed (emphasised in red)
    Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    REVISED ON THE 26TH OF APRIL 2008

UBUNTU FAMILY 8.04 HARDY HERON USERS ONLY

32-Bit Ubuntu Users:

sudo apt-get remove icedtea-gcjwebplugin openjdk-6-jre && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss compizconfig-settings-manager faad gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-pitfdll libflashsupport liblame0 sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unrar w32codecs

SOME TESTING

The audio is working OK... and I'm about to finish your guide. Let me do more testing
    Last edited by qsr.nrwn; April 27th, 2008 at 03:28 AM. Reason: missing tag quote
    Ockham's Razor
    v4sw6+9BCSUhw4+6ln5/6pr6Fck45ma7u7+9Lw2DVWXm0l6+9DLUViOscitee8$t3b9ADM ORSTen7+9a28s8Mr2g0 hackerkey.com

Beans
    Distro

Strange. This thread has moved from the top, to 2nd from the top, then down to the bottom of the "Sticky Thread" section and now it's 2nd from the top again. Weird huh?

Nathan

Edit: What a dummy, sticky threads do actually move up when posts are made. Not sure why it was at the bottom for a few minutes though.
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; April 27th, 2008 at 05:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

So far. so good...

The sound is working flawlessly...

Perhaps alsa-oss, somehow, is messing up PulseAudio...
    Ockham's Razor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Dear reassuringlyoffensive,

Thank you so much for this how-to, you have made things incredibly easy indeed.

I noticed a user on the first page of this thread called gfahey mention something about choppy 3D graphics with ATI. I was wondering if you know of a solution to this.

Google Earth, and 3D games are choppy on my machine. I have a Dell Inspiron 6400, intel core duo, ati mobility x1300, 1GB ram. Straight after installing hardy, i went to ati.com and installed the latest driver for my card. I had this exact same problem with gutsy causing me to eventually stop using ubuntu for a while until a solution was found.

I have a feeling it could have something to do with my processor. On my pallet I have put cpu freq meters for both cores and many a time they appear maxed out which is when my laptop gets a bit slow and juddery - just by doing simple things like scrolling down a webpage. Surely somethings wrong? When I play videos or google earth, both cores are constantly maxed out.

Got any idea to what it could be?

Hope you can help, many thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you

Very informative, however VLC doesn't work. It will show the first menu and freeze. I have to force quit. How do I roll back the changes as it doesn't work?
    I installed VLC only using your guide.
    Insert a very forum friendly signature here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Manage to revert it back.

VLC has lots of artifacts when playing back DVDs. How can I fix this?
    Insert a very forum friendly signature here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by The Pinny Parlour View Post
    Manage to revert it back.

VLC has lots of artifacts when playing back DVDs. How can I fix this?

Not sure what's going on there, deinterlace should help with that. Does Totem play them well? If not, it could be your video driver. If the problem is just with VLC, give Totem Xine a try, if it works well and with menus, make it default with:

sudo update-alternatives --config totem

Then navigate to Places>Computer>Edit>Preferences>Media>DVD Video and select Totem again.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by unshareef View Post
    Dear reassuringlyoffensive,

Thank you so much for this how-to, you have made things incredibly easy indeed.

I noticed a user on the first page of this thread called gfahey mention something about choppy 3D graphics with ATI. I was wondering if you know of a solution to this.

Google Earth, and 3D games are choppy on my machine. I have a Dell Inspiron 6400, intel core duo, ati mobility x1300, 1GB ram. Straight after installing hardy, i went to ati.com and installed the latest driver for my card. I had this exact same problem with gutsy causing me to eventually stop using ubuntu for a while until a solution was found.

I have a feeling it could have something to do with my processor. On my pallet I have put cpu freq meters for both cores and many a time they appear maxed out which is when my laptop gets a bit slow and juddery - just by doing simple things like scrolling down a webpage. Surely somethings wrong? When I play videos or google earth, both cores are constantly maxed out.

Got any idea to what it could be?

Hope you can help, many thanks in advance!

What drivers are you using? Installing them with ENVY should cure your problems:

http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Nathan

Page 4 of 179 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast