Page 92 of 179 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Quote Originally Posted by bw44 View Post
    Hey, I wasn't complaining about the BBC policy! If the policy is as I suggested, it doesn't seem unreasonable (though I'm glad they don't apply it to radio streams too). What I wouldn't defend is hiding the fact they were not supporting Linux. But if, as you say, they are equally committed to supporting Linux (eventualy) then that's OK. I wonder why the US news websites block transmission to the UK?

But what I was really asking was for confirmation as to whether BBC's blocking of Live [video] News was really for technical reasons, as Cornelis Spronk suggested, or a matter of policy. Anyone?

Do the news streams work for you? The BBC have never blocked streams for Linux users, why would they? I've always been able to get them to play, even if it was only the Real stream that would work correctly.

P.S. I said we can't watch American shows on US-based websites.
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; November 5th, 2008 at 10:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-freak View Post
    Do the news streams work for you? The BBC have never blocked streams for Linux users, why would they? I've always been able to get them to play, even if it was only the Real stream that would work correctly.

P.S. I said we can't watch American shows on US-based websites.
    Sorry, I tried to be clear, but I think the confusion here is between video or audio clips and "Live News" feeds. For example, if I navigate to the following page
    Code:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/video_and_audio/default.stm
    and click on the first video clip it plays fine using Flash player (as do all other Flash player clips).

If I link to the "One-Minute World News"
    Code:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6900000/newsid_6903100?redirect=6903113.stm&news=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1&asb=1
    it (usually) plays OK with Gnome Mplayer/Gecko imbedded (though sometimes I have to launch it in a standalone player, but it works then). I don't know if UK viewers can see this summary, as it seems to be directed at an American audience.

Note that I have selected the "International" as opposed to the "UK" version ("Site Version" over on the left side of the BBC news site pages) since I live in Canada.

Now, if I select the "UK" version of the site, I not only get a different selection of links (to more local-to-the-UK news), but am also offered the following "Live" link
    Code:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7459669.stm
    at the top of the page. When I select this link, a new page appears with the heading "BBC News Channel" below which there is a video gif captioned:
    Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory.
    And, indeed, I'm not able to view the "Live News" feed. (I think the "/1" and "/2" after the site in the first and third URLs above is what distinguishes the UK from the International versions of the site.)

I assumed the "Live News" channel was not being made available to "international" users because they were "international", not because they were MS Windows users, which I thought is what Cornelis Spronk was suggesting. That's why I asked in my reply to his post where he found out about the lack of support for anything except MS Windows. It's also why I thought it was indefensible for BBC to give this as the reason we couldn't view it.

I think BBC restricts what "international" users can view, not what Linux users can view (though there may be delays in making new features available to Linux users, since we're such a small group).

Hope that clears up what I was trying to say.

BW44

Beans
    Distro

Yup, that's exactly what I think too.

P.S. Welcome to the second incarnation of my howto, Bob.

Beans

Smile Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

After 7 days of HELL

My kit is: Ubuntu 8.10 fully patched updated (whatever) - Dell E6500, browser is Firefox 3.03.

IcedTea Web Browser Plugin
    File name: IcedTeaPlugin.so
    The IcedTea Web Browser Plugin executes Java applet

Xine Plugin
    File name: xineplugin.so
    Xine Plugin version 1.0.2, (c) The Xine Project.
    Windows Media Player / RealPlayer / QuickTime compatible.

Shockwave Flash
    File name: npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 10.0 r12

Have also installed RealPlayer11 (GOLD) and XBMC

Deinstalled Mplayer

I followed this post and I have the following successes and failures to report:

1. Audio Streaming from www.abc.net.au for most of the live radio stations, both Windows Media and RealPlayer formats. Strange that the ABC (Australia) had several radio networks and they have differing streaming formats. And some don't work.

2. Flash Video on the site works -

3. RealPlayer - gnomedesk top works

4. And - wait for it PulseAudio is working - I had given up - ill have to update another fellow suffer on this.

5. Nothing from the BBC works, not audio, flash, live streaming - except I stumbled across a radio link http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/netwo...o1/live.shtml# that worked sometimes. I'll try it in my Virtual Box XP Instance

So thanks for the suggestions - I did have a conflict problem with the Free Flash player and Shockwave Flash 10.0 r12

Sometime the Flash videos will not play - if I stop the browser and re-start they work. That was a bot confusing at first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi,
    I am using Hardy Heron 32 bit on my system (Athlon X2 5000+ BE, 780G and SB700 Chipset, Integrated Radeon HD graphics, and ALC889A integrated sound). I have applied "Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto" posted by Ubuntu Freak and have thanked him for the wonderful job she/he has done for the new bees like me. Till now, apart from small glitches, everything had been working well. Only one problem I had and answer of which I am yet to get even after posting the query couple of months back. But now, I suppose after some updates (can't pinpoint which ones), I have been facing some problems and would be grateful if can be helped solving. I will start with the problems faced from the beginning of the installation, and then, of late what has been happening.

1. Streaming of videos in Firefox has not been great... It starts fine... but after say, 15-20 seconds.... stops... starts again on its own... may be couple of times.. and stops again.... after that.... I need to refresh/reload the page time and again for the streaming..... This has drastically limited my usage since I depend solely on the system for my entertainment needs. Other internet based applications such as skype etc.. are working fine....

2. How to make use of Magicjack phone on Ubuntu?

3. How to use Creative Webcam Live! Ultra on Ubuntu?

Now, the problem which are recent (may be after some updates).. My habit is, I do complete updates whatever has been recommended/appear through update manager...

4. Video/page browsing/document reading are choppy. Choppiness increases in bigger/full screen windows. I did not face any problem before since I have been using x11 or gl driver/s instead of xv. But now.. this is the case.... I remember sometime back there was an update of fglrx driver... Probably problem started after that... No desktop effects are enabled...

5. Previously, The sound in Ubuntu would put the Windows to shame despite of the specialty driver/software provided by the motherboard manufacturer for Windows and DTS Digital Neo 6 PC protocol enabled. But now... for some reason, sound is altogether disappeared.... No boot sound either.... the sound icon shows no sound.... I initially thought that since I installed VirtualBox, that might have caused some conflict... but even after complete removal of the same, I did not get sound back on my PC. It is working as usual on Windows Vista side though.... Although I had not found ALC889A driver previously but with default ALSA, it was working wonderfully.... I did not have to setup/configure anything when I first installed Ubuntu.... My Logitech speakers, specially sub-woofer would come "alive" in Ubuntu.... and for watching DVD movies, streaming videos, I used to boot my PC into Ubuntu just for the sound effects... I miss those now...

6. How to enable Samsung WEP301 Bluetooth headset/Handsfree in Ubuntu? When I installed Azio Bluetooth (2.0 + EDR) adapter, I saw bluetooth manager automatically on the panel, which conveys that is has been recognized and driver is installed.... But when I try connecting the headset... it fails to....

Solutions/suggestions for above said problem/s would be highly appreciated... Moreover, suggestion regarding decision of upgrading to Intrepid Ibex would be helpful to me.... Shall I stay with Hardy or upgrade it... If upgrade... would it just upgrade the OS or I need to save my files to some other location....
    Thank you very much in advance...
    Last edited by ashwinipn; November 6th, 2008 at 05:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thank You Ubuntu-Freak for this excellent How-To

Everything works perfectly. Youre a genius.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

First of all thanks for your amazing post ubuntu-freak, great job.
    Now, I wanna ask your help as I'm facing some problems. After upgrading to intrepid, the video when I'm watching avi videos seems like slow motion, you know?! Kinda jumping, sorry I don't know how to say that in English.
    I've tried your HT but it's the same thing. Emphasizing that it becomes to happens after the upgrade, in hardy it didn't happens.
    Thanks in Advance and sorry for my English.

best regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

hi there ubu, i had great success getting dvds to play on an old ubu machine the other day, now im trying to get this to work on my new 8.10 kubu machine, and the vlc reads only the trailers(with menu) but not the whole dvd... its rather odd really.

is it a kubuntu thing, or does it have to do with some security lock vlc cant deal with?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I had the same problem with "Couldn't find package libflash-mozplugin" killing the terminal command line install. Perhaps you can modify the instructions to delete libflash-mozplugin from the list of programs to be removed, or put the removal on a separate line so it doesn't kill the entire install?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kforum View Post
    hi there ubu, i had great success getting dvds to play on an old ubu machine the other day, now im trying to get this to work on my new 8.10 kubu machine, and the vlc reads only the trailers(with menu) but not the whole dvd... its rather odd really.

is it a kubuntu thing, or does it have to do with some security lock vlc cant deal with?

Did you upgrade Kubuntu to 8.10, or install it fresh? Do DVDs play okay in Kaffeine?

Page 92 of 179 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast