Page 80 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-freak View Post
    there is one more step to make the script work. Execute the following in the terminal:

chmod u+x ~/.kde/Autostart/syndaemon

That should make it executable.
    Done. Maybe that's why it was opening in kwrite? It was told
    to start, being in Autostart, and couldn't start as a script?
    So it started as best it could, and kwrite is my default
    editor.

Since it became executable it does not open with kwrite anymore
    on reboot, and I've learnt a new trick: if I want to make a
    text appear on startup (to remind myself of something or
    whatever), I just have to save it in .kde/Autostart/

Mariane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have a new installation of Hardy 64bit which I installed on a new box and then basically upgraded to kde4 Kubuntu. I am now having problems getting flash media to play online. This has worked in the past but this is the first time playing in the 64 bit sandbox for me. I am using the regular xorg ati driver with the built in Radeon 3200 graphics on the MB; the fglrx driver gave me artifacts. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

A further bit of information. When trying to install using the instructions for those having problems I get the following error message.
    Removing flashplugin-nonfree ...
    Purging configuration files for flashplugin-nonfree ...
    *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: libcurl.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by henwyn View Post
    A further bit of information. When trying to install using the instructions for those having problems I get the following error message.
    Removing flashplugin-nonfree ...
    Purging configuration files for flashplugin-nonfree ...
    *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: libcurl.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
    Thanks.

Try using v10 beta 1, until 8.10 Intrepid is released, with a newer version of nspluginwrapper. The version in Hardy doesn't like the latest Flash Player.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Went through this walkthrough, and now everything is jittery, flakish, and generally unresponsive. I currently have absolutely no sound on my laptop, and on restart I get maybe 3 seconds of sound before it all scrambles out and screeches at me before cutting off.
    Last edited by Grimhound; September 14th, 2008 at 05:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Grimhound View Post
    Went through this walkthrough, and now everything is jittery, flakish, and generally unresponsive. I currently have absolutely no sound on my laptop, and on restart I get maybe 3 seconds of sound before it all scrambles out and screeches at me before cutting off.

Have you had sound issues before? Which part of the howto were you following when your sound issues appeared? All my howto does is install popular multimedia packages, codecs, applications etc.

See if this thread is of any help.

Beans

Hi,
    I am having the trouble where I can't play the latest quicktime videos (ie http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...ler_small.html, or the indiana jones crystal skull one, etc). It seems like this is an issue of me not telling apple i have quicktime 7, from what i've read (i.e. in the troubleshooting section of the walkthrough on page 1 of this thread). However, in my pluginreg.dat file i have a "quicktime plug-in 7.0 / 7:$" line already. Also, I tried to write that line above the "quicktime plug-in 6.0 / 7:$" line, and it remains as it is if i open/close firefox, but if i go to any apple movie (even one that works), firefox removes that line from my pluginreg.dat file. I don't know if that matters since I already have a line for version 7 somewhere else. Any help? I have media connectivity installed, it doesn't work for me on the quicktime 7 trailers, since apple simply won't stream the videos to me at all, i guess. I've spent 7 straight hours today on this, any help would be appreciated ... i'm hopeless and beyond insanity.

thanks.

p.s. sorry if this is posted somewhere in this thread; i couldn't find it, obviously...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cdoss; September 15th, 2008 at 01:46 AM. Reason: added pluginreg attachment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Complete Multimedia & Video How-to

...and now VLC can't play DVDs...

EDIT: VLC gets through the menu, halfway through the 'Warning' screen for copyright, then it freezes up. Not sure if it's some issue with the menus or how to fix it.

EDIT2: I'd like to apologize for blaming this guide for the issue. A bit short of temper and quick to blame since I began trying to get Ubuntu working right.

EDIT3: Do you know what I'd have to do to get the menus working right, as they seem to be the things choking up?
    Last edited by Grimhound; September 15th, 2008 at 04:47 PM.

Beans

Smile Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Thanks! I was having a heck of a time trying to get adobe flash fixed... this seems to have done it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-freak View Post
    Try using v10 beta 1, until 8.10 Intrepid is released, with a newer version of nspluginwrapper. The version in Hardy doesn't like the latest Flash Player.
    Thanks, that helps. A lot of my problems seem to have stemmed from installing all the kde4 stuff for Kubuntu on top of a regular Hardy install. I haven't had problems doing that before but this time I ran into all sorts of odd video issues. I just did a clean install, ran through your checklist and everything seems to be running much better. Thanks again and, by the way, congratulations on writing some very clean and lucid directions here. I've been doing some of that for operation of machines where I work and it makes me appreciate quality when I see it.

Page 80 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast