Page 7 of 179 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Firefox can't use other plugins if they aren't installed. Did you remove them as the how-to instructs? Like this:

sudo apt-get remove kaffeine-mozilla mozilla-mplayer mozilla-helix-player mozilla-plugin-vlc totem-mozilla xine-plugin

Nathan
    Yes I have.

I can also access youtube and other streams except this site.
    Quite a mystery.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan.Flow View Post
    Great guide,
    I have one problem.
    When I try to play a dvd, with Xine UI. It gives me a funny error.
    The source can't be read. Maby you don't have enough rights for this, or source doesn't contain data(e.g: not disk in drive). (Error reading NAV packet.)

But it sure plays the begging intro of the disk.

Please help..
    Thanks
    by the way I use KDE, "kubuntu" 64 bit I know that their is a difference in the structure between ubuntu and kubuntu.
    Have you tried VLC instead? Could you watched the DVD before? Some new discs have a higher encryption, no.9 in my troubleshooting section might help.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Xris Benedict View Post
    Yes I have.

I can also access youtube and other streams except this site.
    Quite a mystery.
    Do these trailers work?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/

Do for me. Try rebooting if you still have problems.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GranpaDan View Post
    I too am wondering if it is an issue with this latest beta version of Firefox, and not necessarily with Hardy. In another thread, where I was trying to get vlc as an option for playing embedded videos (like Youtube), (refer to thread:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...19#post4815519)
    frodon suggested to add the "media player connectivity" extension, though as I tried to, I got a message that it is not compatible with the Firefox version 3.0b5.
    I'd never use VLC for regular streaming, there's just no point. Have you tried Gecko Media Player? Updated my streaming section today (Part 2) and added instructions for using it, well worth checking out.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

VLC closes out with no indication that it's doing any thing when I try to play a dvd..
    is their another way I can go about this... I realy don't want to reformat and start over just to try another method.
    I've tryed it first using the kaffine codec installer, then I tred it with the kubuntu restricted extras package and now your guide...
    Maby it is a 64bit problem.?

Beans

I followed the new section 2 of the guide, and the gecko media player worked great for the apple movie trailers. The videos from Youtube are still choppy though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Can you tell me if disabling effects helps? Navigate to System>Preferences>Appearance>Effects and tick the first box.

Nathan

Hi Nathan -

Thank you so much for trying to help. After a bit more websearching for clues, I found that you need to enable "x11" not "xv" in the mplayerplugin in order to make .movs, .wmvs and other restricted formats work if you are running Hardy and fglrx. I don't have ANY idea why this is, but it worked for me. There seem to be a other people who have had this problem. You may want to make a note in your guide.

Dooma

Thanks again for the guide and for your help.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dooma View Post
    Hi Nathan -

Thank you so much for trying to help. After a bit more websearching for clues, I found that you need to enable "x11" not "xv" in the mplayerplugin in order to make .movs, .wmvs and other restricted formats work if you are running Hardy and fglrx. I don't have ANY idea why this is, but it worked for me. There seem to be a other people who have had this problem. You may want to make a note in your guide.

Dooma

Thanks again for the guide and for your help.
    It's noted in the troubleshooting section I think. You should be able to watch videos using xv (xvideo). You could in Gutsy yes? Must be a problem with your graphics driver or Xserver in Hardy. You will have problems with fullscreen video and DVD playback if you are using x11.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan.Flow View Post
    VLC closes out with no indication that it's doing any thing when I try to play a dvd..
    is their another way I can go about this... I realy don't want to reformat and start over just to try another method.
    I've tryed it first using the kaffine codec installer, then I tred it with the kubuntu restricted extras package and now your guide...
    Maby it is a 64bit problem.?
    With all DVDs? Try removing the deinterlace command as mentioned in part 4.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm using 64bit kde, but when I put the command in.
    vlc --vout-filter deinterlace --deinterlace-mode blend --volume 512 --fullscreen %m

well VLC doesn't load with that command. I looked in the options of VLC and deinterlace is not checked...

thanks for your help and a great guide.
    Last edited by Nathan.Flow; April 28th, 2008 at 05:53 PM.

Page 7 of 179 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast