Page 55 of 179 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

Thanks for the VERY fast response! Yes that is when it starting having issues. Now I can't view my thumbdrive so I think it is something to do with my usb ports/drivers. Hopefully I can find a resolution within the forums.

Thanks again,

Bodey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Bodey View Post
    Thanks for the VERY fast response! Yes that is when it starting having issues. Now I can't view my thumbdrive so I think it is something to do with my usb ports/drivers. Hopefully I can find a resolution within the forums.

Thanks again,

Bodey

Was there a system update before you followed my how-to? Some don't take effect until you reboot.

Beans

Thanks for a great guide!

Youtubevids doesn't work for me. The videos loads up but doesn't play. Sometimes they play for just a second and then stop. I have Ubuntu 8.04. When flashplugin-nonfree didn't work I went through your troubleshooting guide for flash. But that didn't work either. Not even with abobe flash player v10 beta 2.

Another problem I have is that sometimes when i look at an pdf file in evince all the text dissapear and all I can see is a few elements such as pictures. I have no clue what's going on here so I would really appreciate help here!

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by frecon View Post
    Thanks for a great guide!

Youtubevids doesn't work for me. The videos loads up but doesn't play. Sometimes they play for just a second and then stop. I have Ubuntu 8.04. When flashplugin-nonfree didn't work I went through your troubleshooting guide for flash. But that didn't work either. Not even with abobe flash player v10 beta 2.

Another problem I have is that sometimes when i look at an pdf file in evince all the text dissapear and all I can see is a few elements such as pictures. I have no clue what's going on here so I would really appreciate help here!

Thanks in advance.

I don't understand your Flash problem. You removed conflicting packages, yeah? Search Synaptic and make sure.

Regarding your PDF issue, have you tried installing Adobe Reader and it's browser plugin? There are instructions in the miscellaneous section.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    I don't understand your Flash problem. You removed conflicting packages, yeah? Search Synaptic and make sure.

Regarding your PDF issue, have you tried installing Adobe Reader and it's browser plugin? There are instructions in the miscellaneous section.

Thanks for quick reply. I've installed adobe reader now and it works great. Hopefully I won't get any problem with that. Touch wood.

My youtube problem is that I can't play any youtube videos. I can see the first frame in the video and the progress bar have loaded a bit of the video but it doesn't want to play. I've searched for all of the packages in the line

flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common libflash-mozplugin libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash nspluginwrapper swfdec-mozilla

that was in the troubleshooting section for flash. Do you mean them when you say conflicting packages or do you mean something more?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by frecon View Post
    Do you mean them when you say conflicting packages or do you mean something more?

Yeah, that's all the conflicting packages. I really can't think why you're having such difficulty with Flash. Install the Epiphany browser and see if it performs any better in that.
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; July 10th, 2008 at 01:28 AM.

Beans

Yeah, that's all the conflicting packages. I really can't think why you're having such difficulty with Flash. Install the Epiphany browser and see if it performs any better in that.
    No difference in the Epiphany browser.

Any more ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It certainly is strange. Some work fine and others don't, for example:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...eye/trailer1a/

works fine, but:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/th...wanttobelieve/

doesn't work at all. They are both implemented and presented differently as well.

I think we just have to wait for an update to Gecko Media Player.

UPDATE: Okay, it works for me now, I had to edit the sources.list:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Change every instance of "hardy" to "intrepid", close and save. Next, open the terminal and execute the following command:

sudo apt-get update

Note: DO NOT let Update Manager upgrade your system during this process, as you will be upgraded to a pre-release and buggy version of Ubuntu.

Purge the old and install the new by executing this command:

sudo apt-get purge gnome-mplayer gecko-mediaplayer && sudo apt-get install gnome-mplayer gecko-mediaplayer

Finally, so that you can safely upgrade your system, open up your sources.list file again and change all the instances of "intrepid" back to "hardy":

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Close and save, then complete the process by updating your list of packages once more:

sudo apt-get update

Restart Firefox.

Enjoy!

Thanks!!! That solved it for me! =D>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Talking Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

what do you get if you use bbc iplayer youtube and your personal choice of music player ? give up audio and visual...

now ..

what do you get if you download say season 3 of Battle star galactica and an ep of stargate atlantis ? give up or do you see where this is going ..yup no audio but visual..

but wait ... theres more..

whilst you tube , iplayer , and rythem box play righteously , the downloads fail to play at all using totem but play flawlessly to the point of visual but no audio whilst using VLC.

THus begins my first problem using the hardy heron ...upgraded yesturday.

rest assured i will read through the above to see if i can get sound using totem and vlc.

heres what i tried thus far :

Installing Codecs

Opened a terminal and type :

sudo -s -H

or

sudo -i

and then enter your user password.

After that :

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

To be upgraded. checked that I had all repositories enabled in Software sources.

Then these commands :

apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg libxine1-ffmpeg libdvdread3

Now you have the most of the codecs needed to play most of multimedia you may own. ...alas totem still played but very slowly without any audio , VLC played flawlessly but again without audio.

a little more research is needed, on my part or have i missed something.

Beans
    Distro

Those commands aren't from my how-to. Try following at least part 1 and 2 of my how-to and give Adobe Flash Player v10 beta a try, installation instructions are in the troubleshooting section.

Page 55 of 179 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast