Page 51 of 179 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

You take a lot of trouble and all your instructions are so easy to follow. Thanks very much. In your latest amendment you say do not let update manager install. is that for evermore or can I install updates as normal now I have changed all the entries back to hardy from intrepid?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by heracles View Post
    You take a lot of trouble and all your instructions are so easy to follow. Thanks very much. In your latest amendment you say do not let update manager install. is that for evermore or can I install updates as normal now I have changed all the entries back to hardy from intrepid?

Thanks.

Yeah, you can let your system upgrade now. If you let it upgrade while your sources were Intrepid, you wouldn't be using Hardy anymore.

Beans

Hi,

Nice guide, and it works allmost flawless. The only problem I have is that fullscreen flash (youtube) is extremely choppy. The small flash video's work normally, just not fullscreen.
    I installed the latest nvidia drivers with Envy, which work great, but no improvement in fullscreen flash. The thing that works is when I switch back to the nv driver. Only then there's no GLX support.
    I already disabled compiz, and tried flash 10b. Problem stays the same.

I have no idea what else to do to get fullscreen flash working.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by derx View Post
    Hi,

Nice guide, and it works allmost flawless. The only problem I have is that fullscreen flash (youtube) is extremely choppy. The small flash video's work normally, just not fullscreen.
    I installed the latest nvidia drivers with Envy, which work great, but no improvement in fullscreen flash. The thing that works is when I switch back to the nv driver. Only then there's no GLX support.
    I already disabled compiz, and tried flash 10b. Problem stays the same.

I have no idea what else to do to get fullscreen flash working.

You've already tried everything I would recommend. It seriously performs better with the open driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the updated process. It's a bit scary going to the Intrepid libraries etc. Gnome popped up the auto-update icon after "apt-get update" while sources.list was in Intrepid settings. After replacing the Intrepid sources.list with my old Hardy sources.list, I repeated the "apt-get update" step to remove the auto-update icon.

I recommend you add that step to your process.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by richardh9936 View Post
    Thanks for the updated process. It's a bit scary going to the Intrepid libraries etc. Gnome popped up the auto-update icon after "apt-get update" while sources.list was in Intrepid settings. After replacing the Intrepid sources.list with my old Hardy sources.list, I repeated the "apt-get update" step to remove the auto-update icon.

I recommend you add that step to your process.
    Yeah, that's true. It does reload itself automatically, but that could take a few minutes.

P.S. You've not been thanked electronically before, so thought I'd be the first to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Excellent! Your a good person!
    Again, Thanks!
    Just my two cents.
    --
    Bluester
    It is better to be human than to be perfectly imperfect. (ED)

Beans

Re: Complete Multimedia & Video How-to

Hi there, Your video card uses the same memory for 3d graphics (ie: games) as it does for 2d graphics (ie: movies), and you apparently don't have enough video memory to do both at the same time. I had a simular problem before I upgraded my graphics card. I never actually got the problem solved, but I did find a workaround. I just made a new user called "Avid Gamer" and enabled 3d graphics for only that user. I beleive it was just a matter of saving that xorg.conf to my home directory, but I can't recall for certain. Chech the xorg.conf man page. Also, I believe that you can tell your graphics card to use some system memory as graphics memory, but I ended up upgrading my graphics card before I had to mess with that. Anyhow, good luck.

sTony

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hi,

THANK YOU!!!

For such a wonderful, one-post-does-it-all commandline-based thread... the part about Gecko MediaPlayer alone makes following your instructions all worthwhile.

btw, I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but I am using VLC and after applying the How-To, it is NOT able to handle the Big Bug Bunny .ogg video file... any help?
    RYKEL™ | Google+ OR Skype Name: rykellim

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rykel View Post
    Hi,

THANK YOU!!!

For such a wonderful, one-post-does-it-all commandline-based thread... the part about Gecko MediaPlayer alone makes following your instructions all worthwhile.

btw, I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but I am using VLC and after applying the How-To, it is NOT able to handle the Big Bug Bunny .ogg video file... any help?

Thanks, you're welcome.

Big Bug Bunny .ogg? What do you mean?

Page 51 of 179 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast