Page 177 of 179 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179 LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 1784

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Quote Originally Posted by Borunco View Post
    Hi ubuntu-freak, Just wanted to say even though I don't post much in your thread, you have and are a wealth of information. This thread is like my bible to multimedia and video how to. Ok enough of the sucking up . My question is the last few times I have installed Vlc and follwed your tutorial, everything works the only thing is that when I insert a DVD the Vlc full screen comes up (that's good) then when I hit play I get this window http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/...screenshot.png then I have to click on the disk tab, check if DVD is picked (which it is always) then hit play. I don't remember having to do all them moves before!. I'm using Lubuntu 12.04. I remember inserting the DVD and Vlc coming on and starting the movie. Am I right with that statement or am I on drugs. What do you think. I'm going to check my 10.04 install and see what it does.
    Thanks in advance for your help
    borunco
    Yes, the movie should play automatically. Seems like the disc isn't being recognised as a playback DVD. Not sure how I can help you at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy M View Post
    Which package asks for approval for " Configuring ttf-mscorefonts-installer "? It won't accept any input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomester View Post
    I have the same problem using 11.10. The EULA agreement has an <ok> at the bottom which is unuseable. Terminal window now sitting there doing nothing.
    From the howto:

"Accept or reject any EULAs using the tab and enter keys."

Quote Originally Posted by Clancy_s View Post
    When I tried the global install command from the first post I got an error message about not being able to find ruby ripper and then it exited (I have added Medibuntu and installed the getdeb passage).

I edited the command to remove ruby ripper from the list and the rest are currently installing, I'll chase up ruby ripper later.

Not a problem for me but a complete newbie might get stopped for a while by the unavailability of rr...
    Seems pretty available to me:

http://www.getdeb.net/updates/Ubuntu.../?q=rubyripper

Currently available from Getdeb for three versions of Ubuntu.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Code:
    Yes, the movie should play automatically. Seems like the disc isn't  being recognised as a playback DVD. Not sure how I can help you at the  moment.
    Thanks, ubuntu freak . I haven't had time to mess with it some more, but will get it.
    borunco

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

I had a simple problem with your guide entitled "Comprehensive Multimedia and Video Howto" that was resolved by simply executing "sudo apt-get update". You might want to add a line that users should run update before executing the massive command that gets everything for their particular flavor of ubuntu. I knew to try updating, but a brand new linux user may not.

Beans

thank for sharing information keep update it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRob2258 View Post
    You might want to add a line that users should run update before executing the massive command that gets everything for their particular flavor of ubuntu
    Unfortunately keeping guides updated has recently hit a major obstacle since posts older than 24 hours can not be edited without first gaining the permission of a forum moderator. This is apparently due to spam issues but makes it very inconvenient to keep posts like this one up to date (or at least it was for me).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just a quick post to say thanks for (IMHO) the most useful thread on this entire site! I use it every time I re-install Ubuntu and it saves me so much time and grief retweaking things.

I too had a problem with ruby ripper not installing when I cut and pasted your command, but that's easy enough to sort separately.

[EDIT: Sorted very easily by running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and then retrying
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install rubyripper
    ]

Thanks again, and keep up the fantastic work!
    Last edited by mediax; August 4th, 2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Solution to rubyripper installation problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRob2258 View Post
    I had a simple problem with your guide entitled "Comprehensive Multimedia and Video Howto" that was resolved by simply executing "sudo apt-get update". You might want to add a line that users should run update before executing the massive command that gets everything for their particular flavor of ubuntu. I knew to try updating, but a brand new linux user may not.
    I presumed a background apt-get update would execute after the Getdeb and Playdeb packages are installed to add the repos. Anywho, I may abandon this howto as the rules on post editing mean I can't freely edit and update it when necessary. I asked a few weeks ago via PM if I could be given a time slot to edit the howto and never received a reply. I'm not interested in begging the forum gods for permission to edit my 4-year-old howto and it's not as important as it used to be anyway, so perhaps not worth fighting with the gods over.

Cheers for the support and help with tweaking the howto over the years everyone.

Nathan

Beans

It would be a great shame if 4 years of work ended in this fashion, is there no other way?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-freak View Post
    Anywho, I may abandon this howto as the rules on post editing mean I can't freely edit and update it when necessary.
    I did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-freak View Post
    Cheers for the support and help with tweaking the howto over the years everyone.

Nathan
    Thank you for your work on this. You have helped many users.

Beans

First line of this thread, I did this to add the Medibuntu repo-

sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo sed -i "/^# deb .*partner/ s/^# //" /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get -y --force-yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu && sudo apt-get update

And got this in return-

--2012-09-03 22:34:48-- http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/maverick.list
    Resolving www.medibuntu.org... 88.191.127.22
    Connecting to www.medibuntu.org|88.191.127.22|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    2012-09-03 22:34:49 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Page 177 of 179 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179 LastLast