Page 149 of 179 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1784

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-freak View Post
    That's your company, right? I've seen your blog and site. I think a minimum of $179 is a bit steep for a copy of Ubuntu with restricted packages pre-installed, when people could simply follow this howto or install Super OS, Linux Mint, etc and not pay anything at all.
    Yes. It is my little start-up venture. But, no. The cost is not for the software. All the software is free FOSS, of course. It's just highly tweaked out. Of course, you can install and configure all of it yourself. It's all free. The $179 is for the installation of it, the training, the customized video documentation for it, and... most importantly, one years unlimited tech support.

The unlimited tech support, obviously, is the premo piece that everyone would love to give their family members, grandma, sister-in-law, dad, etc., etc... so they don't have to call YOU for support.

Unlimited tech support is not something you can download free.

( Canonical sells it too. )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you *so* much for this. I'm on my 2nd day as a Linux user and my one sanity requirement was to get my soma.fm working. Now I am happy; Ubuntu rocks; all is good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My motivation for using this thread was to attempt to overcome choppy play in youtube videos, a problem I'm having whether I'm viewing them in flash in firefox 3.6, or embedded in youtube's html5 beta using chrome.

Using the 'PREPARATION' section, I had trouble enabling the mediabuntu repository; using either the quick or manual methods produces an error msg complaining of a lack of the correct public key.

So, I tried the instructions viz. adobe flash in the 'TROUBLESHOOTING' section, and this seemed initially to make some improvement but i suspect this may only have been a placebo effect. Still too choppy for me to follow my favourite sport (Sumo) on Youtube however.

Reading through the thread I came across the post on Envy which sounded like something worth trying. Installing and running it in the terminal, i uninstalled both detected drivers and reinstalled from the list generated by the application. On rebooting, Ubuntu tells me I'm now in low graphics mode and that it can't detect a device. The options presented won't work, ie I can't reload a saved or default config, run the desktop in low-graphics mode and it won't even give me a command line, just a static cursor with no prompt. I'm having to boot from the Live CD to post this.

Can anyone suggest a solution short of backing up my data and re-installing Koala?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@John Krow - you have to reinstall your drivers, what's your 3D driver card?
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderDGreat View Post
    @John Krow - you have to reinstall your drivers, what's your 3D driver card?
    The shell command
    lspci | grep VGA
    returns
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
    Don't forget I'm booting from the CD, I expect I'll be cd'ing into the hard drive directories and may have to alter permissions with sudo and chmod commands?
    This seems relevant: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Video

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh so you're using an integrated video card? Does it come with 3D support? The link you gave will just do exactly, what in your login says, to fix the low-resolution Ubuntu Karmic by reconfiguring xorg, only it's more technical.

I'm no expert at this topic, but the reason I asked you is because before this happened to me. I'm using a 3D card Nvidia 5500, that I messed up, so I uninstalled all Proprietary 3D drivers, went to the site of Nvidia, searched for the driver in Linux, followed their instruction, reboot, then walah! It was fixed.
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs down Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Lucid Lynx users may find that the installation stumbles with the message: "Can't find package ia32-sun-java6-bin"
    You can get it by enabling the karmic multiverse source (sudo gedit apt-get sources.list, copy the lucid entry, changing "lucid" to "karmic"),then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install -f ia32-sun-java6-bin/karmic
    You may also have to use install -f /karmic for gecko-mediaplayer.
    Maybe it's a good idea to remove the karmic entry afterwards.
    I've used this thread over a dozen times and it's gone like clockwork until now - well, that's what you get for using development branch stuff.
    Thanks, ubuntu-freak, for a great job.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I can't wait until the day I will see a user friendly guide that shows you how to do things the GUI way.

Whats the point of Linux having a GUI if all these guides are full of command line input??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by fallenshadow View Post
    I can't wait until the day I will see a user friendly guide that shows you how to do things the GUI way.

Whats the point of Linux having a GUI if all these guides are full of command line input??
    If you wanna do it the slow and inefficient way that's your business. Ubuntu has wizards for when you click on songs, videos, or try to view flash videos, etc. Failing that, you could try Mint, which has the restricted multimedia packages pre-installed.
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; February 22nd, 2010 at 01:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-freak View Post
    If you wanna do it the slow and inefficient way that's your business. Ubuntu has wizards for when you click on songs, videos, or try to view flash videos, etc. Failing that, sod off and try Mint and keep out of my thread.
    Ouch! O.K.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Page 149 of 179 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast