Page 13 of 179 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Just did some Googling. The Ubuntu bug report concerning this problem is here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...lc/+bug/223762

The Debian bug report may have a possible solution:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=462715

Hope that helps.

Nathan
    I haven't been able to figure out what to do with the 'pseudocode' given in the possible solution, so I think I'm just going to try using a different player for the time being, and hope that vlc gets updated. I like the features of vlc, but mplayer seems like it's working fine. For now, I think the simplest solution will be the best.

Thanks for helping out.
    Next task: samba

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

No I was using FF with the how-to open and copy and paste into a terminal. Syanptic was closed.

Edit:I have a bigger problem now..I followed the How to using copy and paste method into terminal window. Then ran update manager, all seemed fine untill I restarted after having shutdown. I now have no panels, I have desktop without panels, I cannot get a terminal to open with <Alt-F2> nor with right click Launcher. nothing nada zip..I am using a windows (hmm) machine to send this message..before all this I had taken the time to download Hardy ISO and burn to CD...Is there any sense in doing a clean reinstall? I have no idea what has gone wrong, but plainly something has. I was running fine on Gutsy.
    Edit: I can use backspace-alt-ctrl to get to welcome which has option select session can I do anything there?
    Last edited by FrancesL; May 1st, 2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Problem is now greater
    Hp Pavilion 504a desktop,1 x 400 GB HD 1.5GBRAM: 1.7 Ghz Intel processor.Intel 8284 5g/GL [Brookdale-G][Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphics controller].
    And Plz Forgive my Senior Moments!

Beans

Hi Nathan,

I followed your guide and as far as I can see everything works except for two things:
    at www.apple.com/trailers I get a grey box with sound but no graphics,
    flash games don't seem to work properly, e.g. at www.lumosity.com where I have a subscription graphics and sound are out of sync which is really annoying.

But great guide anyway!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_72 View Post
    Hi Nathan,

I followed your guide and as far as I can see everything works except for two things:
    at www.apple.com/trailers I get a grey box with sound but no graphics,
    flash games don't seem to work properly, e.g. at www.lumosity.com where I have a subscription graphics and sound are out of sync which is really annoying.

But great guide anyway!
    Did streaming apple.com trailers ever work in Hardy or Gutsy? Try disabling effects in System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Effects and see how it goes then. Not sure how to help with the Adobe Flash problem, it's not secret that there are some issues. The libflashsupport package should help though, but I presume you installed that while following my how-to. Doesn't help that Flash in Linux is't GPU accelarated. Add your vote to the bug reports and make them take note.

Nathan

Beans

I don't know if this is posted before, but when I update the latest version of libdvdcss, firefox crash when a flash video is launched.
    Any way to revert it?
    Read YouTube.

Never mind!
    Last edited by ChevyDude; May 1st, 2008 at 06:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nathan,

I managed to get those Real videos running through Mplayer, but the screen size takes up the whole browser window so the video is extremely pixelated. I can't seem to find a way to shrink the video size. It doesn't open in a separate Mplayer window, it opens inside the browser, but takes up the entire browser window, with no visible option to reduce video size. I noticed you only mention installing RealPlayer in the PRE-Hardy section. Does this mean that it's not compatible with Hardy yet?

Thanks.

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

I get apple trailers to work if I choose X11 video output.

And I voted to get the bugs fixed.

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

I get apple trailers to work if I choose X11 video output.

And I voted to get the bugs fixed.

edit: sorry for the double post!
    Last edited by Peter_72; May 1st, 2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: double post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by timzak View Post
    Nathan,

I managed to get those Real videos running through Mplayer, but the screen size takes up the whole browser window so the video is extremely pixelated. I can't seem to find a way to shrink the video size. It doesn't open in a separate Mplayer window, it opens inside the browser, but takes up the entire browser window, with no visible option to reduce video size. I noticed you only mention installing RealPlayer in the PRE-Hardy section. Does this mean that it's not compatible with Hardy yet?

Thanks.

That was with Gecko Media Player yeah? How did you finally get it to open within the browser?

Well, mplayerplug-in could be told to ignore Real Media streams, Gecko Media Player can't, but it performs even better than mplayerplug-in did. I won't add the new Realplayer to my guide until there is a quality deb and I've tested it's performance.

Nathan
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; December 10th, 2011 at 08:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Great job! Regardless I'm still having trouble with DVD playback. I've installed the Ubuntu restricted packages and Medibuntu but still no love. see the output from terminal when I try to install VLC directly -

jeff@gutsy-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install vlc
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
    the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
    that package should be filed.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    vlc: Depends: vlc-nox (= 0.8.6.release.c-0ubuntu5.1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to put this guide together!
    Dell Inspiron 600m 1.8GHz|ATI 9000mobile|2Gb RAM|Intel 2915ABG|dual boot Win7/UNE 10.04
    Nokia N810
    Dell Studio XPS|i7-920|6Gb RAM|Nvidia-G220|Win7|XP & Maverick in VMware player

Page 13 of 179 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast