Page 102 of 179 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1784

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Thanks so much! It's so useful and comprehensive but not overwhelming at all, especially for beginners like me. Thanks a million again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

A very well-written 'How To' that I wish I had noticed earlier!!

I'm running 32-bit Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid and I've been having problems getting some swf files to show. In particular, I don't get to see the vids displayed on the BBC website, although I can watch flash vids on youtube.

I've installed the adobe-flashplugin from the partner repository and I have the Medibuntu repositories enabled, but Firefox insists that it uses swfdec to show flash files instead of the proper adobe one as I would have expected.

I tried removing swfdec-mozilla via Synaptic but that said that I had to also remove gnome, which seemed too harsh for me so I abandoned that approach.

So I've tried doing the commands in the 'How To'. I started with this command:

sudo apt-get remove gnash gnash-common libflash-mozplugin libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss faac faad flashplugin-nonfree gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-pitfdll liblame0 non-free-codecs sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unrar

My output from that was:
    Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package gnash is not installed, so not removed
    Package gnash-common is not installed, so not removed
    E: Couldn't find package libflash-mozplugin
    It seems the command stopped when it couldn't find libflash-mozplugin as swfdec-mozilla is still installed.

Anyway, I then tried running the command:

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/*

The output of that was:
    Code:
    rm: cannot remove `/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/*': No such file or directory
    Could someone help me sort out what's gone wrong?

Beans
    Distro

OK, a bit of Googling got me to look at this very thread where someone had a similar problem with libflash-mozplugin. Post 909 suggested simply omitting it from the list of packages to be removed, so that's what I did. This was my output:

Code:
    Building dependency tree       
    Package gnash is not installed, so not removed
    Package gnash-common is not installed, so not removed
    Package libflashsupport is not installed, so not removed
    Package mozilla-plugin-gnash is not installed, so not removed
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      fakeroot xchat-common linux-headers-2.6.27-7 xchat
      linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic libnotify-bin dkms
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED
      gnome swfdec-mozilla
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 348kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
    So again I have the dilemma of having to remove gnome. That seems very odd, but I suppose the dependency trees can never be wrong, can they??

Fortune favours the brave, as they say, so I entered 'y' and this was the resultant output:

Code:
    (Reading database ... 275312 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing gnome ...
    Removing swfdec-mozilla ...
    Building dependency tree       
    alsa-oss is already the newest version.
    gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg is already the newest version.
    gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg set to manually installed.
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad is already the newest version.
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad set to manually installed.
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse is already the newest version.
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly is already the newest version.
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly set to manually installed.
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse is already the newest version.
    gstreamer0.10-pitfdll is already the newest version.
    Package liblame0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
      libmp3lame0
    E: Package liblame0 has no installation candidate
    So again I have an E: error message that seems to have interrupted the command.

Anyone fancy telling me what I should do now with liblame0 and/or libmp3lame0 and/or anything else?

BTW, I also ran the sudo apt-get autoremove command as the previous output had suggested. This was my output:

Code:
    Building dependency tree       
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      fakeroot xchat-common linux-headers-2.6.27-7 xchat
      linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic libnotify-bin dkms
    The following packages will be REMOVED
      dkms fakeroot libnotify-bin linux-headers-2.6.27-7
      linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic xchat xchat-common
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 56.9MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 275290 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing dkms ...
    Removing fakeroot ...
    Removing libnotify-bin ...
    Removing linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic ...
    Removing linux-headers-2.6.27-7 ...
    Removing xchat ...
    Removing xchat-common ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Processing triggers for menu ...
    /usr/share/menu/cairo-dock: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
    Execution of /usr/share/menu/cairo-dock generated no output or returned an error.
    Seems to have caused some sort of conflict with cairo-dock?

Beans
    Distro

Well, after having done all that described in the previous two posts, I now can not only not view flash vids on the BBC site but now not in youtube either!!

Both sites are saying that I don't seem to have a version of flashplayer that's sufficiently up-to-date, but that seems odd as I installed adobe-flashplayer from the partner repository which I thought was meant to be always up-to-date.

It seems I can go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and download the latest version, but I'd much rather get it via Synaptic or apt-get so that all of my software remains updated via Update Manager.

Beans
    Distro

Working on the assumption that libmp3lame0 is indeed a replacement package for liblame0, I amended the command to be:
    sudo apt-get install libmp3lame0 non-free-codecs sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unrar

Output was:
    Code:
    Building dependency tree       
    libmp3lame0 is already the newest version.
    libmp3lame0 set to manually installed.
    non-free-codecs is already the newest version.
    sun-java6-fonts is already the newest version.
    sun-java6-jre is already the newest version.
    sun-java6-jre set to manually installed.
    sun-java6-plugin is already the newest version.
    unrar is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    So, I think I've now done the first step of the 'How To', although I'm still a bit worried about having to remove the package named 'gnome' as, from its description, it seems to be rather important to the desktop environment that is Ubuntu. But then again, I also note that it's not from the main Canonical repository for Intrepid, which leaves me more bloody confused than ever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't have any good ideas concerning your video problem (except to follow ubuntu-freak's guide ), but I can tell you that gnome is a metapackage, so removing it will not remove other gnome apps, nor your gnome-desktop-environment in particular. It is merely a handy way to install a boatload of packages at once. Notice the small size:
    Code:
    % apt-cache show gnome
    Depends: gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.22.2~4ubuntu2), gdm-themes, gnome-themes-extras, gnome-games (>= 1:2.22.2), libpam-gnome-keyring (>= 2.22.2), gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly (>= 0.10.8), gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg (>= 0.10.4), rhythmbox (>= 0.11.5), synaptic (>= 0.62), system-config-printer-gnome (>= 1.0.0), totem-mozilla, swfdec-mozilla, epiphany-extensions, evolution-plugins (>= 2.22.2), evolution-exchange (>= 2.22.2), evolution-webcal (>= 2.21.92), gnome-spell (>= 1.0.4), serpentine, gnome-app-install, transmission-gtk, bluez-gnome, gnome-vfs-obexftp, arj, p7zip, avahi-daemon
    Recommends: gnome-games-extra-data (>= 2.22.0), gnome-office (= 1:2.22.2~4ubuntu2), tomboy (>= 0.10.2), update-notifier, empathy | pidgin, gparted, tsclient, network-manager-gnome, hal-cups-utils, gthumb, liferea | blam, menu-xdg, gdebi, hardinfo
    Suggests: gnome-dbg, openoffice.org-gnome, openoffice.org-evolution
    Size: 2040

Beans
    Distro

I've just looked through Synaptic to see which packages I've got installed that refer to ketwords 'flash', 'swf' or 'flv'. The list is:

adobe-flashplugin
    flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound
    swfdec-gnome
    libswfdec-0.8-0
    flvtool2
    libming0
    libming-util
    yamdi
    swftools
    ubuntu-restricted-extras
    clive

The notable absentee from what I can tell is flashplugin-nonfree. I've no idea why that's not there, but I presume some app I've installed had a conflict with it. Should I (re)install it?

An oddity is swfdec-gnome. Is that useful or might it be getting in the way like swfdec-mozilla was? If I completely remove it, Synaptic insists that I also remove gnome-desktop-environment, which again looks like it ought to be a bloody useful thingy but, as unutbu points out, is probably just a metapackage (isn't it?).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Comprehensive indeed now...

Beans
    Distro

Well, I can now see and hear flash vids on both BBC and youtube!!!

I navigated to a page that had one or more embedded swf files and Firefox noticed that I had no ability to play flash files so it asked me which I'd like to install out of adobe, swfdec and gnash. So I chose adobe, it installed flashplugin-nonfree, and Robert's your mother's brother. Sorted!

I have a few questions though remaining:

What should I do with the seemingly unnecessary swfdec-gnome package?

I have an app named swftools installed which seems to offer at a simple level the option of creating swf files from pictures and/or avi type vids. However, it isn't listed in my Alt-F2 list of available applications. How does one run that app? Or is there an alternative app that you'd recommend to create flash files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Allott View Post
    Well, I can now see and hear flash vids on both BBC and youtube!!!

I navigated to a page that had one or more embedded swf files and Firefox noticed that I had no ability to play flash files so it asked me which I'd like to install out of adobe, swfdec and gnash. So I chose adobe, it installed flashplugin-nonfree, and Robert's your mother's brother. Sorted!

I have a few questions though remaining:

What should I do with the seemingly unnecessary swfdec-gnome package?

I have an app named swftools installed which seems to offer at a simple level the option of creating swf files from pictures and/or avi type vids. However, it isn't listed in my Alt-F2 list of available applications. How does one run that app? Or is there an alternative app that you'd recommend to create flash files?
    Gnash and SWF packages can interfere with Adobe Flash Player, so you should remove swf-gnome and swftools. They aren't installed by default, so your playback troubles must stem from installing multiple packages that deal with Flash content.

Regarding the creation of Flash videos, just install the packages from the video conversion section of my howto. Once WinFF and FFmpeg are installed, open WinFF and click on "Convert to..." and select "Website, then next to that you can select to create an FLV video.

Page 102 of 179 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast