Page 10 of 179 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

reassuringlyoffensive,

My only concern is you're having us uninstall a bunch of things. Is it a certainty that we won't want/need any of these things you're proposing to uninstall? I guess my first concern is Totem in Hardy. I personally like the new YouTube plugin and don't want to lose that function in the process of following your Howto.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for the guide, RO, sound is now working in VLC for Flash related media.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by timzak View Post
    reassuringlyoffensive,

My only concern is you're having us uninstall a bunch of things. Is it a certainty that we won't want/need any of these things you're proposing to uninstall? I guess my first concern is Totem in Hardy. I personally like the new YouTube plugin and don't want to lose that function in the process of following your Howto.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Not sure what you mean, Totem doesn't stream Flash and never has. Any package being removed is removed cos it's going to conflict with my recommended applications and plugins. Nothing to worry about.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the quick reply, Nathan. So sudo apt-get remove totem-mozilla won't touch Totem? That's my main concern.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Not sure what you mean, Totem doesn't stream Flash and never has. Any package being removed is removed cos it's going to conflict with my recommended applications and plugins. Nothing to worry about.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by timzak View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, Nathan. So sudo apt-get remove totem-mozilla won't touch Totem? That's my main concern.

Thanks.

No, not at all. I never encourage people to remove that and it can cause numerous problems if you do. The package totem-mozilla is a plugin and the package totem-gstreamer is the player itself.

Nathan

Beans

Hey, great work. Finally got Flash working in FF3 Hardy.

Thanks

Beans

I have installed all the recommended packages and things some to be work, except for one re-occuring problem. No matter what video view application that I use, when I try to either look at an .avi file or even use the link to look at the trailers, as soon as I start the app, the screen goes completely back and there is nothing that I can do except hard power down the machine.
    I am running 8.04 on an Toshiba Satellite M35X-S311.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kcallis View Post
    I have installed all the recommended packages and things some to be work, except for one re-occuring problem. No matter what video view application that I use, when I try to either look at an .avi file or even use the link to look at the trailers, as soon as I start the app, the screen goes completely back and there is nothing that I can do except hard power down the machine.
    I am running 8.04 on an Toshiba Satellite M35X-S311.

Ouch. That's what we call a "hard-lock" crash and usually a graphics driver problem. It's not just with avi files is it? What graphics device do you have? Might be worth filing a bug report. Try disabling effects in System>Preferences>Appearance>Effects for now.

Nathan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Ouch. That's what we call a "hard-lock" crash and usually a graphics driver problem. It's not just with avi files is it? What graphics device do you have? Might be worth filing a bug report. Try disabling effects in System>Preferences>Appearance>Effects for now.
    The graphic interface is an Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device. I guess I need too search and see what the deal is with that card.

Beans

first off, thanks for the how to! everything running like a dream except for one little thing...when trying to stream radiotations supported by akamai it completely shuts down firefox. running 8.04. still a newbie so this may be obvious to many.

regards

Page 10 of 179 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast