Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: [SOLVED] unable to ping localhost

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bardstown, KY, USA
    Beans
    200
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Question [SOLVED] unable to ping localhost

    I feel stupid for asking this, but I've tried everything I know and can't figure it out.

    I can't ping 'localhost'.

    My /etc/hosts file:

    Code:
    127.0.0.1 localhost ubun2
    
    # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

    My nsswitch.conf file:

    Code:
    passwd:         compat
    group:          compat
    shadow:         compat
    
    hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
    networks:       files
    
    protocols:      files
    services:       files
    ethers:         files
    rpc:            files
    
    netgroup:       nis

    nslookup localhost:

    Code:
    Server:         192.168.1.254
    Address:        192.168.1.254#53
    
    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:   localhost
    Address: 127.0.0.1

    ping localhost:

    Code:
    ping: unknown host localhost

    What am I missing? It's like it's totally ignoring my hosts file, but why? nsswitch lists 'files' as the first option for hosts, so it should hit my hosts file first, right? This just started this week and I don't remember changing a single thing (but I won't deny the possibility).

    I first became aware of the problem when I tried to access the machine via NX and it connected and authenticated but then wouldn't finish loading, saying 'nxssh: localhost: Name or service not known'. I approached it as a problem with NX until I noticed that I couldn't even ping localhost on that machine.

    So, what's wrong?

    /Kevin
    Last edited by commonplace; April 25th, 2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Problem solved.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Beans
    133
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

    Re: unable to ping localhost

    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    I feel stupid for asking this, but I've tried everything I know and can't figure it out.

    I can't ping 'localhost'.

    My /etc/hosts file:

    Code:
    127.0.0.1 localhost ubun2
    
    # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    /Kevin
    I have this one and I can ping. Using Hardy Heron 8.04.

    127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.1.1 ubu804dt

    # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    Csat

    Doubts? Check ->here<-

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bardstown, KY, USA
    Beans
    200
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: unable to ping localhost

    Okay, I made that change and it didn't help.

    One interesting thing: if I do "sudo ping localhost", it works. Pinging localhost without sudo does not. So it seems to be a permissions thing... what would cause sudo to access the hosts file but not work otherwise? Do I need to chmod the hosts file or nsswitch.conf file? I did come across something that suggested doing a chmod 644 nsswitch.conf but a) I don't know if/why that's necessary and b) if it is necessary, why has it worked all along until now?

    /Kevin
    Last edited by commonplace; April 25th, 2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: stupid typo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Beans
    1,393
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: unable to ping localhost

    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    Okay, I made that change and it didn't help.

    One interesting thing: if I do "sudo ping localhost", it works. Pinging localhost without sudo does not. So it seems to be a permissions thing... what would cause sudo to access the hosts file but not work otherwise? Do I need to chmod the hosts file or nsswitch.conf file? I did come across something that suggested doing a chmod 644 nsswitch.conf but a) I don't know if/why that's necessary and b) if it is necessary, why has it worked all along until now?

    /Kevin

    /Kevin
    Very strange. I did some searching around, because its an intriguing problem.

    Take a look at this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=687637

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bardstown, KY, USA
    Beans
    200
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: unable to ping localhost

    Quote Originally Posted by Monicker View Post
    Very strange. I did some searching around, because its an intriguing problem.

    Take a look at this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=687637
    Yep, I'd seen that thread. That's what got me on the path of checking nsswitch.conf. Mine seems to be setup okay.

    This thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=666433) is what talks about doing a chmod 644 on the nsswitch.conf file. And honestly, I have a feeling that will fix it, but it worries me that I'm not sure it's supposed to be that way.

    Can anyone post the results of this for me?

    Code:
    stat -c "%a %n" /etc/nsswitch.conf
    That should return the octal permissions for your nsswitch.conf file (e.g. 600 instead of -rw-------).

    Mine is 600. The thread I referenced says to change it to 644. I'm curious to see if others have theirs as 644 or not before I change mine. Thank you everyone!

    /Kevin

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Beans
    1,393
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: unable to ping localhost

    Just checked that on Hardy Heron, which was freshly installed yesterday.


    644 /etc/nsswitch.conf

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •