Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadcom Wireless Setup for Hardy (Step by step)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Broadcom Wireless Setup for Hardy (Step by step)

I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04 using 8.04 i386 DVD on HP NX6310 laptop. Earlier wireless interface was working fine using Ndiswrapper (installed using 'Windows Wireless Driver' in Admin menu) on Broadcom BCM4312 chipset. After upgrade (Kernel 2.6.22-16)there was no wireless network interface detected, whereas it shows that ndiswrapper is installed.

I rebooted using Kernel 2.6.22-14 and it recognizes Wireless interface correctly and connects to the wireless network fine.

It seems there is a problem with Kernel 2.6.22-16.
    Any inputs?

regards
    Vig
    Last edited by vigyani; May 9th, 2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Correction

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vigyani View Post
    I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04 using 8.04 i386 DVD on HP NX6310 laptop. Earlier wireless interface was working fine using Ndiswrapper (installed using 'Windows Wireless Driver' in Admin menu) on Broadcom BCM4312 chipset. After upgrade (Kernel 2.6.22-16)there was no wireless network interface detected, whereas it shows that ndiswrapper is installed.

I rebooted using Kernel 2.6.22-14 and it recognizes Wireless interface correctly and connects to the wireless network fine.

It seems there is a problem with Kernel 2.6.22-16.
    Any inputs?

regards
    Vig
    Can you go to a Terminal and post your ndiswrapper -v and ndiswrapper -l? There is a chance that you might have to reload your driver in 2.6.24-16.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You are now my official god!!!

Beans

Can I just say you rock?

Thanks for the great instructions. Worked on the first try with no problem. What a great community. (Yeah, I'm a complete n00b to Linux). My main system is a Mac but I'm excited to learn something new.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just to set the record straight -- WHICH THE ORIGINAL POSTER DID NOT DO -- these instructions were directly copied from this post as first written by Mazza558:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=ndiswrapper

As a General Rule: People should no claim credit for another person's work without giving them credit. A link to the original thread should be put in the main page.

Beans

Lots of good information here...I did the step-by-step...had it working, BUT now it won't. Not entirely true; I can connect to unsecured wireless. The Network Manager taskbar dealie can see my secured wireless (WPA and WEP) and gives me network strength, but won't connect. iwscan sees the same things.

Basically, I want to un-do and re-do...any pointers on how to go about doing so?

Beans

Not to nitpick, but this version was a lot better organized than the other one, at least for me. But you're right, at least partial credit should have been given. Either way, I'm happy.

Beans

Dell Latitude D830
    Truemobile 1505 Wireless, detected as:
    Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)

Working great, per first page instructions, used step 2d period per link to original help thread from Mazza558.

Step 2d: R151517 Driver Download/Extraction
    wget http://myspamb8.googlepages.com/R151517-pruned.zip
    unzip R151517-pruned.zip

Thank you Alex, Mazza, and everyone. I'm breaking away, and this was my first roadblock into the new open source world. Wish me luck, and thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Worked like a charm thanks. No matter what I did I could never get the firmware driver off my system but I eventually figured out why

(bcm43xx is older then the b43 driver, and I was using b43 when most guides told me to only mess with the bcm43xx driver)

Hint: Broadcom 4318 drivers can be found on the acer europe website (acer travelmate 2480 is the computer your looking for)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I just wanted to say THANK YOU! Very, very much.

I had wireless working under 7.10, but when I upgraded, I lost the capabilities. After trying many methods, and even yours a few times, I remembered that even though the steps were familiar, if I used the drivers off my CD, it might work. Lo and behold it did.

For those of you having BCM4306 (rev 03), double check to see if your using WMP54GS wireless card, and use the drivers for that. It sounds simple, but when you're frustrated and trying to follow the instructions, you don't think about it. After reinstalling fresh and following these steps to a "T" with those drivers, my wireless started working right after the reboot.

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast