Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadcom Wireless Setup for Hardy (Step by step)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Broadcom Wireless Setup for Hardy (Step by step)

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Alex,

Thanks for this post. I was installing Hardy via wireless with no wired connection and (of course) lost my internet connection during the installation (very frustrating). Fortunately this laptop had windows on it so I was able to piece it together and got it working with your instructions.

Oddly enough, after I got things working again I found similar notes in my old Gutsy installation memory joggers, but I forgot to look there first.
    Anyway, a suggestion that might help out real newbies: Either change step 5 to read:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/init.d/wirelessfix.sh &
    and/or remind them to save and close gedit before accomplishing step 7. Otherwise they will return to the original terminal window to enter the command but it will still be awaiting the closure of gedit before it will do anything else. I understand this is pretty basic stuff but I can imagine when I was new to ubuntu not really understanding all the basics and getting hung up here.

Thanks again for helping getting my broadcom working again.
    Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. I was in my rush to go to bed as I needed to take a rest early for my work in the next morning. I have just amended my post according to your suggestion. Thank you very much for your reply indeed.

Best regards,
    Alex Kent

Beans

Hello, I'm very new to Ubuntu and I put a fresh install on my laptop today.

Its a dell inspiron 4100, p3 866, pretty basic. I have a broadcom minipci card I took from an HP, its a bcm94306mp.

I checked in terminal and it recognizes it as a Broadcom 4306 (rev 2)

I followed the directions, but when I got to the step "sudo modprobe ndiswrapper"
    It said "FATAL ERROR -ndiswrapper not present" or something to that effect.

Everything seemed to go well up until that point, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Beans

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have spent a ton of hours trying to get my wireless card to work correctly on hardy. It finally working thanks to you.

Beans

This works great for my Dell 1395 card which shows up as BC4310 rev1. I'm not sure why they don't work with the restriced drivers manager (i guess it's not called that anymore). I already ordered an intel card earlier today, but it's great to know there is a way to make this card work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by sakid View Post
    I followed the steps in the first post and now when I log on to the machine it seems to lock up. It looks like its trying to load something because there is a white square in the top corner of the screen, it is about 1/4 of the screen.

Any ideas?
    The same thing happened to me and it eventually booted up after I left it for a few minutes.

When it did boot, it gave me an error message. My apologies for not having taken down the text of the error, but the gist of it was that something didn't load properly with the gnome desktop and it was disabled and would be tried again on my next login. When my desktop loaded it had reverted itself to the default theme. Any idea what's conflicting?

On the plus side -- the wireless is up!! And it's working better for me than it was in Gutsy. Hurrah!

EDIT: Didn't have the same problem on the next boot. Everything seems to be up and running just fine.
    Last edited by arden667; May 1st, 2008 at 03:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for such a great post Alex, took me ages trying to get wireless working for my Broadcom 4306 rev 3. In the end all I had to do was follow your instructions to the letter!

Thanks again,
    Stoo.

Beans

Angry Re: Broadcom Wireless Setup for Hardy (Step by step)

After failing to install my drivers via "hardware driver" I was pleased to see this post. I followed all steps successfully, and this is what I got:

The light of my Broadcom B43 wireless card turns on soon after my machine is switch on, but the second gnome is loaded, all lights switch off.

I have no internet connection (seeing as the lights aren't even showing). But strangely (or not), if I pull out the card, then put it back in, the lights return, yet still no connection.

Have I done something wrong? Is there a way of uninstalling, and stating the whole process again? Is there anything I have to change to the settings?

??? HELP! (I'm a bit of a beginner)
    Hardy Herron 8.04 - Dell Latitude C610 (pretty old laptop)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

please sticky this broadcom support is so all over the place

some I had to try 4 methods before this one finnaly worked
    Stalker's Law : As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving how much the United States sucks approaches one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! Had probems with wireless for soooo long... gave up with gutsy. THANK YOU! (K)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by jhmiller42 View Post
    OK -- I´m apparently an idiot. Trying to install ndiswrapper either through a terminal or Synaptic calls for my Hardy installation CD. I provide it, press Enter. It asks again. I press Enter. And so forth.

I´m beginning to think Linux is an anger-management training tool.
    In synaptic Package manager click on setting then repositories, Under the Ubuntu Software tab theirs a window at the bottom that lists the Cdrom with Ubuntu 8.04, uncheck the box. Close window and click on reload , this will make you computer check repositories and not ask for the cdrom.

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast