Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8.04 upgrade ATI fglrx driver does not load

Beans

Re: 8.04 upgrade ATI fglrx driver does not load

Quote Originally Posted by tosoth View Post
    Hi. I have similar problem. Today after upgrade to 8.04 and restarting my pc, all I've seen was ubuntu logo that looked like displayed with 4 colors (colorful pixels instead of normal colors) and than black screen. My pc hanged completely. I tried (recovery mode) in grub and run xfix (something like that), that probably turned off fglrx driver and used open driver instead. Of coures after that ubuntu boot up properly.
    Using google i found advice to increase AGP aperture size in BIOS. I set it to 512MB and then i could boot up ubuntu even with fglrx driver, but it run slower than with open driver.
    After about 5 hours of dealing with this problem I'm trying clean install of 8.04. Maybe it will help (I hope).

I forgot to add...
    My graphics card: Radeon X1950Pro 512MB AGP
    Cheers.

My compiz fusion desktop effects (like cube) and AWN were running smoothly under 7.10.

So I'm reluctant to play with my BIOS. when I kn ow it should work...

Now with this mesa driver the dpi onscreen is distorted (110 as opposed to 96). It's all starting to get annoying.

Surely with Dell selling Ubuntu machines there should be some info available somewhere, and SOMEONE must have tested 8.04 with an Inspiron 6400 with the MR 1400??? It's not that uncommon for a laptop (in fact a third of all people with laptops seem to have these..)

Now I'm downloading the ISO for a fresh install. I didn't want to do it as it eats up so much time - all the nice added settings and programmes are lost and i have to go through this all over again. Dunno if a fresh install will help, but I see no alternative... 63% and waiting...

I'm not impressed
    Last edited by cynical_remarks; April 25th, 2008 at 11:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I tried doing a clean install of Hardy. The situation has improved in the sense that I'm using the ATI driver. 3D acceleration flickers though Really disappointed. (On a side note, I have a minor vision impairement which means I have to use larger fonts, and wiuth larger fonts the @#%^@# Firefox Beta is not compatible with this very forum. Very poor showing Ubuntu releasing a distribution that is not compatible with your own website.)

Beans

Well... in my situation clean install didn't change anything. So now I have: old problem + lots of things to install + some XKB configuration error after login. Great.

Thumbs down Re: 8.04 upgrade ATI fglrx driver does not load

I had problems with my ati card and a messed up xorg.conf. In the end "aticonfig" helped me. For a start try this:
    Create new xorg.conf:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Enable ATI driver in "Hardware Drivers" (or install with envyng) then
    Code:
    sudo ati-config -f --initial
    After that read the output of aticonfig to add some more options if needed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Burmuda View Post
    I had problems with my ati card and a messed up xorg.conf. In the end "aticonfig" helped me. For a start try this:
    Create new xorg.conf:
    Code:
    Code:
    Unfortunately it won't work. I tried it many times yesterday

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Burmuda View Post
    Create new xorg.conf:
    Code:
    Code:
    This worked for me. I didn't have to do the ati-config part though. I was in a regular metacity session, running the open source driver (which oddly ran Compiz on my 9600 great in 7.10 but like *** in 8.04) and went into a terminal and created a new xorg from scratch, rebooted, installed the new proprietary driver via the restricted drivers manager and rebooted to a working Compiz session with no issues. Right now I am thinking it is something left over from the old xorg but if you did a fresh install I have no answers for you.

Beans

Im having the same problem with integrated x1250, the xorg-driver-fglrx worked fine in 7.10 now nothing. It does seem to be a peoblem with the xorg.conf, Has anyone tryed using there working xorg.conf from there 7.10?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

same problem here: the desktop effects work quite well, but it loads the mesa drivers instead of the fglrx, so i get about 100fps in glxgears..
    i had an update, not a clean install, and the xorg.conf should be the same as before...
    The day in which Microsoft will start making something that doesn't suck will be the day they'll start producing vacuum cleaners

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i almost solved it (i hope it will work also for you):
    i uninistalled XGL
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove xerver-xgl --purge
    and rebooted.
    now it loads the fglrx drivers correctly and i got an improvement of 1300% on glxgears.
    the windows are still flickering and firefox scrolling sucks, though..
    The day in which Microsoft will start making something that doesn't suck will be the day they'll start producing vacuum cleaners

Beans

Thanks for all the answers!

I'll try the different methods and keep you posted.

Anyone heard/ seen an official word about this?

Mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast