Thread: A question about inputs

Beans

A question about inputs

Hello,
    I've posted a similar question on the 'hardware and laptops" section, but i got no answer, so I think i just don't know exactly what to ask for here... i am trying to configure my microphone (headset), but I don't know how to do it. I am a fresh Kubuntu user, and my soundcard is:

lspci: Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

In configuring Skype, they give a lot of options for 'incoming sound', including the one that seems closer to my card, HDA ATI SB (hw:SB,4), which i choose but the microphone doesn't work anyway. The sound, and the headphone, work fine.

Well, i guess my question is, what am I looking for in respect to microphone input? Do i have to configure the right sort of input using any other method?

I have seen from the forums that there are a lot of people with microphone problems, but it's hard to know what to look for, and I can't help but feeling I am missing some basic issues here.

Any suggestions?
    Thank you very much, and I hope to be of help once I start to get used to this new operating system!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: A question about inputs

Let's get the silly answer out of the way first: Are the inputs turned on?

Open the Volume Control panel (doubleclick the volume icon). Ubuntu's default install has Line-in and Mic muted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You also need to go into to the Volume Control and make sure the Capture inputs are active.
    Linux User #460341 || Ubuntu User #19510 || Unanswered Posts Team

Beans

Ok, (embarrassed look), I guess silly questions demand silly answers, so you were right, it did come with mic muted.
    I turned up the levels, and now i can hear my own voice when using the headset, so it is already an improvement!
    However, Skype will not recognize it, and the microphone test in Skype fails... is it something to do with configuring the capturing devices properly?
    here is a how I have my levels and inputs set
    Does it seem right?
    Thank you all!
    Attached Images Attached Images