Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't turn volume down

Beans

Re: Can't turn volume down

Quote Originally Posted by romansky View Post
    OK, so I solved it thanks to another thread about flash problems. This is what I did, in case others have the same problem:

1. sudo apt-get install module-assistant
    2. sudo module-assistant a-i alsa-source
    3. sudo pico /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    4. Added "options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig" at the end of the config file.
    5. Restart machine
    6. sudo apt-get install libflashsupport

Now, most things seem to work. I don't know exactly what I've done here, though...
    The steps above fixed the problem for me. I'm running an EEE PC 701 for reference.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by romansky View Post
    OK, something changed, but not necesseraly to the better. This is what I did (whilst in Terminal):
    1. sudo apt-get install module-assistant
    2. sudo module-assistant a-i alsa-source
    3. sudo pico /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    4. Added "options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig" at the end of the config file.
    I had the same problem after upgrading from Gutsy to Heron: no alsamixer, and oss-mixer only let choose between 100% (full) or 0% (mute). I followed this advice, now alsamixer is available, I can also choose it in volume-applet and every switch works nicely. The only problem is that the system is totally mute. I can hear the buzzing noise when I turn up the CD volume, but nothing comes out from the software side.

I'd rather revert back to the old situation and remain waiting for the issue to be solved through repos. How to?

realtek / intel
    Last edited by orawax; April 29th, 2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: specified the situation more accurately
    In a society that has abolished
    every kind of adventure
    the only adventure that remains
    is to abolish the society.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by orawax View Post
    I had the same problem after upgrading from Gutsy to Heron: no alsamixer, and oss-mixer only let choose between 100% (full) or 0% (mute). I followed this advice, now alsamixer is available, I can also choose it in volume-applet and every switch works nicely. The only problem is that the system is totally mute. I can hear the buzzing noise when I turn up the CD volume, but nothing comes out from the software side.

I'd rather revert back to the old situation and remain waiting for the issue to be solved through repos. How to?

realtek / intel
    My sound was mute when I did this procedure. The solution was to restart "alsa" or something else. I just did a reboot. Try it.

Or maybe you should put something else instead of "6stack-dig" in "options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig". Try googling...

Mathieu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mat087 View Post
    Or maybe you should put something else instead of "6stack-dig" in "options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig". Try googling...
    Found this: "hda Intel soundcard solution", might help some with intel hda card but not me. I tried 6stack-dig, 3stack, 3stack-dig, asus-laptop, asus, laptop, fujitsu, ref, auto, laptop-eapd. None works. Some give the test sound through ALC861 Analog -device, but nothing else. Others don't work at all.

Wild 1st of May everyone!
    every kind of adventure

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

FYI: The latest Linux updates brought the sounds back, but now I'm back where I began: no alsamixer available, only OSS.
    every kind of adventure

Beans

I actually ended up wiping out hardy and reinstalling gutsy because of this sound thing, plus a couple of other annoying things (such as difficulties while trying to install VMware). I'll wait a few weeks, hoping there will be updates fixing thse problems, and the I'll reinstall hardy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12